So are we saying Zeus, Ra, and Odin and all the other Chief Gods were really the Christian god?

just misunderstood by the people at the time?

Thats a pretty big misunderstanding. The Greeks and Norse alone had whole family trees and stories attached to their Gods.

Not to mention the Aztecs who did human sacrifices
And the Native Americans who worshipped Animal guides and the Earth itself and believed everything had its own spirit or energy attached that had to be respected.

I don't think there's a correlation. I do think the early-Christian conquerors incorporated aspects of those older religions and retuned them into something more Christian (ie Easter and Xmas were not there's, they just retooled an existing pagan holiday).

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 2:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am Hellenic Pagan, and I do NOT believe my Gods have anything to with the Christian God. do believe that aspects of Pagan Gods were used in creating the Christian God.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I believe that there is only 1 God regardless of what you call him.

As for misunderstanding...look at the differences between Catholics, Baptists, and Christians. They follow the same book but it's interpreted differently.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 'we' aren't saying that. at least i'm not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No I dont believe that.
    For this reason. There shall be no other gods before me. Plain and simple.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just drawing on what you said about when the spaniards came and "conquored" the Azteks and such. One reason Christianity was quickly spread and accepted was because their life right then was traumatic and their ruler was pretty bad, cant recall his name. Butthe idea of Jesus Christ was easily accepted by them because it made sense, due to their own beliefs of sacrafice for the Gods. Because Jesus sacrificed himself for all of man. Does that make sense, in a brief moment here. As far as the traditional times of holidays, it was easier to keep the calendar time for those celebrations that were Pagan based, just rename them into Christian holidays. That is just how I always understood it, I could be wrong or have been misinformed. IMO religions have always been a way to "control" society. I am religious, spiritual and consider myself a christian but I also do not quickly disreguard old and new beliefs, including God/s.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't believe that they're all the "Christian" God. I believe all the perceptions of the Divine refer to the same Being. And I wouldn't call them misconceptions. I don't think any are wrong. I believe that we all relate to the Divine in whatever way is best for us, and I believe that's the point. If He/It weren't accessible to all, despite our differences, would He/It really be Divine?

So I do believe that all faiths are merely different perceptions/relationships/understandings of the same Thing. I believe He is to people what they need Him to be, that He meets us where we are and reveals Himself to us in ways that are geared towards our personal culture/language/understanding. I believe He is capable of relating to each person as they need Him to, that He transcends religion and that instead each faith offers one facet, one perception, of the Divinity that is beyond our ability to completely understand....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No. They are false "gods" ... idols ... man's attempt to satisfy the innate need to worship, but they are NOT Jehovah.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• This is a good subject. History is there. Look into it. Gods come from all cultures and it does NOT make the Christian God any less of a reality to the Jewish faith, and others that chose to follow.

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yeah I understand that, but what about say in 1000BC or 500BC before Christianity was even an idea?

Were the gods worshipped by the different peoples around the world all different? ( I think so) or was the Head of the pantheon (like Zeus) really sposed to be God but they weren't getting it?
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• @2blondebabies... thats a really good answer. Thanks :) I totally understood what you were talking about and that does make sense (to me).
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010