4 year old son having accidents

My 4 year old son started school for the first time this summer and he seems to be adjusting to it fairly well, however for the past week he has had accidents using the caca in his underware is the normal? Should I be concerned? He had been totally potty trained up until now

Mele311

Asked by Mele311 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• School is a HUGE change for him. Even if he seems fine with it, it's still a new situation so yes it is normal. Don't yell at him, don't punish him, just talk quietly about how occasional accidents happen and ask him why he didn't go potty. If he doesn't know why, tell him again it's ok and to make sure he says something when he needs to go to the bathroom. My 4 1/2 year old went through this when we moved, so I'm pretty sure this is a normal thing.
    tinandril

Answer by tinandril at 10:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• my nephew is 9 and still occasionally has accidents, his dr said it's nothing to be concerned about, so since your child is only 4 i'm assuming it's not a big concern :)
    jessijohns

Answer by jessijohns at 10:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• he may be trying to get attention from you due to his new separation issues. just explain to him that he is a big boy now and big boys go to the bathroom. also try and set aside special time for just the two of you each afternoon so he still gets his special attention.. i.e. bake something together, fingerpaint together, talk a walk or go to the park... be creative
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 12:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2008