What would you recommend for skin irritation...?

Now I'm 24 years old and have only experienced this problem for this past summer - when I wear a bra all day (from the time I get dressed in the morning until I get in my jammies at bed time) I get a horrible and sometimes painful rash under both my breasts. I can't not wear a bra (I'm a 40DD, depending on the style and manufactorer of the bra) so I have to wear one. I've tried using powder to keep the skin dry, I've used some ointments at night to help relieve the discomfort but the rash is still there for at least a few days (I've been going without a bra on days that I'm just lounging around the house). I never had this problem any previous summer, and as much as I love the summer weather I can't wait for the cool days and nights so this rash won't come back - at least I hope it doesn't. I know part of the problem is sweating. I've always had semi-sensitive skin but like I said this rash is relatively new.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Have you consulted your doctor? Are you sure you're not getting an infection? Staph infections can present as redness/rash.

In the meantime

Anti Monkey Butt Powder seems to do a nice job. Many of my horse friends use it for sweaty areas when they're outside working horses all day. :) Also, using natural fiber bras--cotton as opposed to synthetics. You might also consider buying some of those "tucks" witch hazel pads and discretely wipe the area down midday.

That sounds very uncomfortable.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Have you tried A&D ointment? well is really a diaper rash medicine but i use it on all of my family rashes.....diaper, heat, etc.
    Bran9545

Answer by Bran9545 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my guess would be yeast~no cornstarch powder or it will feed it. I'd try vaginal yeast cream over the counter after I washed the rash and blew it dry (cool)...two of three times a day....that microbe is a stinker~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• are you sweating, is that the cause of the rash? have you tried using anti-perspirant to prevent the moisture/sweat from getting trapped? it might help more than powder. also, are you sure your bra is a correct fit? a proper fit wouldn't allow a lot movement/rubbing of the band as you move, i would think.
    you could also try vaseline. my dh uses this as a means to avoid irritation on his thighs/nipples when he runs. (the material of shirt/shorts rubbing against the sweaty skin can cause skin irritations.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Baby Powder and lots of it. Sometimes I shower before getting in my relaxing clothes at the end of the day and I use some more baby powder in that area. Also, make sure you wash you bras often and then I hang mine to air dry.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was thinking yeast infection like surfcitymom. Use a couple of drops of tea tree oil on the affected area every day and see if that might work.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• sounds like a heat rash from sweating and the heat..

talk to your doctor, they can recommend what is best to use on your skin for this condition and varify what it is.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• baby powder.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Use an Antifungal cream and put a peice of gauze under there at night time. I worked as a nurse at a nursing home and some women would get like this and we would do that and keep it clean & it would clear up in a few days.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010