Should I suggest & or let my son join the Air Force after Graduating High School?

laurasmiles

Asked by laurasmiles at 2:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• What do you mean let him? Surely it should be up to him what he does with his life.

Support him no matter what that is.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Well, I personally would be freaking out, but can you really forbid him? Of all the armed forces he should choose, I would think the AF is the best. (meaning the safest) Ask him to choose some kind of training that will be useful in real life, like a medic. And have him only sign on for the lowest number of years possible, I can't remember how many that is. Also, encourage him to go to Officer's School, there is more money and more benefits for officers. There are so many benefits the military gives you, if he feels he's up for the task, then all you can really do is to help him talk through it. I have many family members in the AF, they have all mostly enjoyed their time there. :) I wish your son the best of luck finding something that is right for him.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 3:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My son was planning on going into the army.... all of my friends, co-workers etc were freaking out. Me I totally supported him in his decision. My view was he didn't feel he was ready or wanted to go to college at that time so if that was his direction that was fine. I totally supported him so if he wants to go...give him your support.. I don't know how old your son is but he could change his mind... mine did.. he decided he wanted to go into full-time ministry. As moms once they reach a certain age we have to trust we did the best job we could and they will make the right decisions for there lives.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I would support him in his decision. If you want to suggest it go ahead. The AF is one of the safest branches to join. The Navy is safe as well depending on what he chooses to do. depending on his grades in school and his ASVAP scores see if he can become an officer. The military offers a great chance depending on your field.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Well,its like this, support HIS decision in whatever he wants to do. My daughter is re-joining the Army and yes it is tearing my guts up, but, I love her and support and am so very proud to be her Mom.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2008