How much is too much?

i cant type all of my DD's problems in 940 characters and it wont let me reply Anon so i wont be able to answer your questions sorry. How many bananas is too much to eat in 1 day for a 4 year old? is 6 a lot? i think so.. She woke up this morning before i woke up and i mean super early and ate ALL 6 Strawberry yogurts, made a mess on the floor. left 1 empty yogurt inside the fridge with spoon inside and the rest in trash can. She has developmental probs but she is forever copying her older sis. she thinks shes hungry but she isnt. she just copies people and throws tantrums because she wants food when she doesnt. she has thrown her body on her bed and hit her head on the wall, she kicks it, slams doors like a 15 yr old, throws her body on any floor. raids the pantry/fridge. we are waiting for MRI results. she is a huge drama queen, running 2 her room when she doesnt get her way and slams it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• 6 bananas and/or yogurts is a lot. But, at least it's healthy foods. My son does this when we have cookies or chips in the house. He's almost 3 and also has delays. I hope this answers your question since I'm not too sure what you are asking.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• She should be glad I am not her mom. I would have spanked that drama queen right out of her. JMO.
    Put a lock on the pantry door. After all the yogert she ate I hope you did not let her eat anything else tell lunch..

Answer by louise2 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am sorry for your problems. It doesn't sound like there is an easy answer for you, though. I would get a doctor or therapist's help, and start teaching your daughter how to be more aware of her body's cues. I think all little kids need to learn this, but most of them do it somewhat automatically, it's just a fact of life that sometimes they insist they aren't hungry b/c they are busy playing, or that they say they are hungry simply b/c there is chocolate ice cream in front of them. But still, for most kids this isn't a chronic problem. It sounds like your daughter needs to be explicitly taught how to tell if she is hungry. Of course, it sounds like she needs a lot more than that too, but this is just in response to the one issue you posted about here. Good luck to you mama.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 3:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would think 6 is too many bananas for a 4 year old body size. Can you set up a system at meals where you offer small portions, knowing she will want more, and they she gets more and get to ask for more. My kids have to ask before raiding the food so I can keep track of school lunch food.....

My DD with each the entire thing of cream cheese without thinking twice...my little guy picked up the cube of butter and took a big bite~uggg.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• u cant put a lock on my fridge or pantry! its a sliding door pantry with one tiny knob, two she has developmental delays in Conginitive i think its called. Two, i cant lock a fridge either has no handles and if it didnt you cant lock it. Three she is Lactose she isnt allowed to eat anything with DAIRY! she knows this. FOUR, Bananas and Yogurt are healthy but not that healthy.. she has problems.. i did spank her and she doesnt behave either. she has thrown her body to the floor or knees down and cries like someone is murdering her, she slams her door, throws her self on her bed and hits her head on the wall by accident. she tells people "WHAT!", "What are you looking at" and "WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW"? she ate the yogurt before 7am when i was asleep, its not like we are rich and i can go buy a new pack of it!
    busybumblebe848

Answer by busybumblebe848 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• louise2, you should always read the entire question before responding, and if you are going to be negative you should read it twice! This little girl is developmentally delayed. And the mom is asking for help, for Pete's sake. Shame on you.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 3:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• there is no way to know if she is really hungry because she lies all the time. Just because she says i want more or im hungry doesnt mean she is. how am i supposed to know if shes telling the truth? she had cheerios today with Almond milk.. she licks the whole bowl. to me thats just not normal. when she eats food she makes it a point to eat every rice grain, every little thing off her plate. yes i do portions. she has a plate that has these separate areas for food. she throws the biggest tantrums i ever seen. all over oatmeal or whatever. throws tantrums over not getting almond milk but gets water. she drinks more almond milk then the recommended. i know im not starving her. we eat diff types of foods. she has ate 2-3 bowls of pasta with red sauce and tomatos with my 6 year old is fine with a cup and a half. shes tiny and skinny. my 4 year old is 37 inches tall and wic thinks its a Hormonal prob. she doesnt grow
    busybumblebe848

Answer by busybumblebe848 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can lock a sliding door pantry w/door chains or drop bolts, both of which are relatively inexpensive at your local hardware store. They make special stick-on velcro refrigerator locks, no door handles required, that you can get from a child safety supply place.

For her behaviors you need the help of a developmental behavioralist - call Early Intervention or a private provider for services. In the meantime, establish a routine & stick to it! All meals & activities need to be on a schedule. Your DD sounds like a child with Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). PWS kids are typically developmentally delayed, have huge tantrums over food & cannot control their eating (no "off" switch in their brains). PWS kids are at significant risk for developing obesity & diabetes. Has she been tested for PWS? If not, request the genetic testing for it. If PWS is the issue, there are treatments, but I won't kid you, it's a hard road to travel.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Even kids with issues can be taught things.  She can lock things up and put things up where the girl can not get them. And teach the other kids not to get into the food either.  To much potassium/bananas is not good for anyone.  she knows this girl has issues.  She knows she eats to much. She as a mother need to step up and do something about it.

Answer by louise2 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sounds like you know you have some challenges, multiple ones. Go get help--find a counsellor (schools will often refer you) They will can try to help you by providing strategies to try, discussing priorities in changing behaviour, what is in the "normal" spectrum, and possibly what needs to be looked at medically as well. Having said that neither my sister nor my middle daughter ever feel full, like NEVER. And I rarely feel hungry--a hardwire issue that we have had to learn to pay attention too. IT is hard for a child to impose portion limits on yummy food, but we are getting there! For your peace of mind, seriously, get professional help. If it is just that you have a hard time with enforcing boundaries--and this is a result---they can help with that too.
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 12:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010