At what age dos a child "outgrow" a time-out?

When is a child too old for a time out? And what type of punishment do you replace it with?

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 3:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I remember when I was about 10 or 11 I got a time out and a "pop" from my dad and laughed at him in my head because it didn't hurt anymore and I think that was the last one I got. After that they took my radio away or my favorite shirt etc that usually worked great in getting me to act how they wanted. I had a friend who got his next planned night out taken away when he talked back or whatever it was (we were teenagers). His mom made it so that the planned "going out" was taken away so he couldn't plan a fake nonimportant night out to not lose the night out he was looking forward to for weeks.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It depends what you give time outs for and how you use them.

Sitting in the corner with a dunce cap is different than going in your room and listening to music for a little while, KWIM?

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I need a time out right now.....
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• As long as it works..use it.
    My son will be getting time outs till he's 45. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it depends on what you consider a time-out to be. Even an adult can benefit from some "cool-off" time.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I never have done the time out concept~I have made them run 5 laps in the yard and report back to me.....I have made them hang out with me for "not doing the rules"...this is the best I think...they want to go off and play but they can't....they have to stay there while I do a laundry load switch, load the dishwasher, water the garden. I'm telling them I need to watch them so they need to be right next to me (I hold their hand if they get pissy)...

and really it sets us up to talk about what is going on in a shoulder to shoulder way...we talk, I get to make a point, they shift gears and really it seems they are not getting along or breaking the rules to have my attention...they need more of time and this way they get it (verse getting less of my time in a chair or "on the hook").
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• time out= sitting in a corner, looking at the wall, going to a designated area to think about what they did.
    rAbella

Comment by rAbella (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010