How can I get my 3 yo to stop kicking and antagonizing the other kids?!

Every time he leaves timeout he goes right back and does it again. I mean immediatly! He never gets mad and thinks time out is funny. He knows the corner way too well. It just seems like he does whatever he wants and consequences don't scare him at all!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Please let me know what you learn, my 3 year old daughter is the same way. I say, "we don't hit/punch/pinch/kick our friends." She says, "so-and-so isn't my friend." When punished she just laughs. I've tried time-out, incentives, taking away favorite toys, and spanking --- nothing works. I hope this phase passes quickly.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We spanked for such behavior and so we didn't see much of it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Lots and lots (and lots) of redirection before the behavior occurs. Have a long discussion before you even get into a social situation. Maybe even talk about how to be appropriate the night before the activity. Explain that hitting/kicking hurts, then ask him "Why don't we hit/kick?" to see if it registers. Rinse and repeat ;-) Then, never take your eyes off the kiddo and immediately redirect/remind DS of appropriate behavior as soon as he raises his leg or arm to hit/kick. Prevention. It will be alot of work, but the behavior should taper off if you smother him enough :-) Also consistency with T.O.'s in a VERY boring area where he cannot see the tv, toys, hear conversations, etc. The T.O. seat must be soooo boring and uninteresting that he will detest it! GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You have to make the punishment get bigger and bigger. EXAMPLE: If you put him in timeout the first time and he goes right at it. Spank him and put him back in timeout. Next time spank him and take away all treats and timeout. Does it again spank, longer timeout take away favorite toys for the whole week and make him earn them back for good behavior. Ask him what he wants to do to earn them back and chart it so he can see his good behavior on a piece of paper. Also try to keep him busy. Small kids can help with simple chores like putting away utensils that are not sharp. Sorting laundry, etc..... sometimes bored kids will act out so keep that in mind.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Do NOT spank for this behavior, it will just reinforce that hitting/hurting someone else is acceptable behavior. Instead, try what my cousin just did to her son for kicking. She set up a wall of pillows and cushions (so he wouldn't break his foot), set a timer for 10 minutes and made him kick the pillows for the entire 10 minutes. If he stopped, laughed or complained, the 10 minutes started over. It has been a week since that and he has not kicked again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I watch supernanny and have pick up the time out it works but u have to stay with it and dont give up
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 8:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011