Nose picking!

Well, my 3 year old loovvess to pick her nose. When I tell her not to do it, and move her hand away, she puts it right back times a million. Oh, and she says "But I have boogers!" I've shown her how to blow her nose but she says she still has boogers. She doesn't always say that, so I don't think there's anything uncomfortable up there, you know? She just likes to do it.

So, what kinda tricks do you use to get your kids to keep their fingers out of there?

And before I even post, I am not into using hot sauce, punishment, etc. so please don't even suggest it.

Arkaidy

Asked by Arkaidy at 3:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Last I heard, it's healthy for kids to pick their noses (and even eat it! It apparently helps develop immunities...) Try to teach her not to do it in public...for that, I have no suggestions. My daughter is 15 months old so she's still at the age where she can get away with doing stuff like that, lol.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I scream, no matter where we are, "Hey XXXXXX!! Here in America we use toilet paper to pick our nose!!" It embarrasses the crap outta her, but she stops!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I dont mind if my kids pick there nose, its completely normal and natural. they just arent allowed to eat them!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There are a couple things to try. Ignore her, or reverse psychology, encourage her to do it more and witness other kids reaction so she finally gets it that way?
    Do it yourself and show her how gross it looks? If you can't beat them, join them? It will pass believe me. Good Luck!
    kendragarten

Answer by kendragarten at 3:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• SarahLee!! That is so gross!!! lol

My 2-year-old has this issue with wiping her nose with her hand or on her clothes. I just make her go get a tissue even if she's already smeared it everywhere. I think it'll stick eventually. We'll see! Haha.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I use Little Noses saline to break it up so it can be blown out. As for the nose picking, she was getting so bad that she had sore spots that would bleed. I started slapping her hand when she does it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, SuperMommy, I specifically did NOT want negative ways to get her to stop.

To OP's, I guess it's not that it bothers me, but more of doing it in public or even worse, when someone is talking to her!
    Arkaidy

Comment by Arkaidy (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, not gonna hit my child, thanks. (Jademom)

OP's, I guess I will just continue to teach her not to do it in public, as I said it doesn't really bother me at home. Hope it works!
    Arkaidy

Comment by Arkaidy (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Its not really negative.. its the only thing that i have found that works.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• ew, why would someone suggest hotsauce for nosepicking? LMBO!
    Anyway....Maybe try buying her some of those little tissue packets...with a cute package design like Disney or something and encourage her that when she feels the need to pick her nose to use one of the tissues. Let her carry it with her in a pocket or in a little girl purse.Maybe her nose feels dry up there? Try giving her a saline shot up her nostrils a couple times a day to see if that helps too.
    Good Luck..Hope this helps!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010