What do you think of co-sleeping?

co-sleeping

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 3:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• it works great for our family but you need to explore what is best for yours.
    if co-sleeping works, great if not, that's great too but please don't let what other people think dictate how you and your family live your life!
    i'm not addressing anyone with that comment i just know a few mom's personally that have issues with co-sleeping because a relative or something has told them that co-sleeping is bad.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I think that co-sleeping is ideal for some people but not feasible for others. It's all a matter of personal choice. I personally have co-slept with my daughter when she was an infant and while Daddy was deployed. However, at 10 months old when Daddy returned home, Ava started using her crib.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I have 3 children. All of them slept with me. Do you think your husband or significant other can handle it (we aren't always in the same bed)? It works for us and I actually enjoy my babies snuggled up to me.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 3:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It sounds cute and fun and feasible at first...but I think after awhile it would get really hard to do. I want to have intimate time with my boyfriend, and if we let our daughter stay with us, we won't get it when we want it. We might co-sleep while she's really little, but she's going to spend the majority of her sleeping time in her crib so we can avoid as many issues as possible.

But if people can do it successfully and without any problems, good for you! I'm not that strong, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Its the only way to get some sleep sometimes. It never bothered me and both my girls did it growing up.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I don't believe in co-sleeping, I believe parents should have alone time at night and kids should be in their own bed and if you co-sleep and then later decide not to, your kids will have a hard time adjusting to sleeping on their own.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i cant find one single (positive) reason for co-sleeping.

Kids need their own "room" as well as the parents. If you start it once you probably have to do it for the rest for a very long time.. Its going to be a habit.

I'm afraid of habits that babies/toddlers/kids could have, because it will take forever to get rid of them habits. Like pacifier (thank god my daughter never wanted one) or sleeping with the lights turned on. Never did that for my child. Things like that.

And co-sleeping is dangerous if you do that with a baby, specially newborns.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I have seen studies that show how co-sleeping lowers risk of SIDS. The mom acts as a regulater for baby's breathing. Tons of positive stuff on bonding and attachment. As for initimacy....we have to be more creative. (which can be fun). I personally enjoy the family bed! They will grow out it at some point. There is so much literature out there on transitioninng to theire own bed/crib when it no longer is comfortable. However, I can see how it doesn't work for all.
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Very bad habit to get into. The children need to sleep in their own beds. Once in awhile is ok, but don't make it an everynight deal.
    Anonymous

• i sort of did it with my son more or less it was him sleeping me awake but for liek the first 3 months he couldnt sleep without being on my chest so that is what i did on the couch and in the chairs held him for him to sleep he got over it and went to his crib after that ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2008