I'm having trouble paying off my hospital bill...will they......

send me to court? It stems back to January of this year. I couldnt afford the entire bill so they sent it to collections. Collections gave me an option to pay a certain amt each month which i cannot meet, but I have been sending them what i can. I'm a sahm so i personally have no income. More important bills come first. I have read a post on here once from someone that they were sent to court? i have also read about people going to jail? I'm a bit nervous!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• If the account is already sent to collections, then the hospital no longer personally owns the debt more than likely. They probably sold the account to a third party collections agency.. Which means it would be too late to set up a payment plan with the hospital itself. You would need to speak to the collection agency and see what they say. If you let the account go to collections, it is unfortunately too late for agreements. They will no take you to court.. But medical bills can affect your credit score drastically.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree ....we have medical bills that are YEARS old and if you send them "good faith" payments like the above person said they usually won't get horribly crazy with you. Sometimes you can ask the hospial because of your financial situation for a reduction on the bill.....it doesn't hurt to ask!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can call them and ask to compromise (reduce) the bill and then set up a payment schedule.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• because of the hippocratic oath, they can't
    just send them what you can, when you can, even if it's just $5 a month.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with the person above I do not think that they can. If they could my sister would have been in court a million times now.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I try to do $5-10 a week. Uuugh it's SOOOO OVERWHELMING! Just when I pay off one debt another one comes!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have the paperwork to fill out from the hospital's payment assistance plan....i wasnt sure if I could fill it out whenever I want or if it needed to be done before payment plans are set up with collections?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I believe that as long as you are sending them something every month, they cannot do anything to you. That may vary from state to state though. You could call your county attorney's office or your public defender's office, and they would know. Might put your mind at ease.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I know hindsight is 20-20, but if you had called them and talked to them and told them you were having financial problems and set something up with them, you would have avoided going to collections. Most creditors are willing to work with you if you let them know. Otherwise, they think you're trying to blow the bill off.

You need to call the collections agency and ask to speak to a manager. Get your minimum payment lowered now and get them off your back.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• oh believe me hotmama I told them from the very start! They've heard every sob story in the book and still have to follow through with collections if not paid on time. They gave me a payment plan which I couldnt keep up with so they did their job and sent me to collections. i have spoken to the manager and she pretty much told me "oh well".
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010