Are they really in touch with the Average American Person?

The 50 wealthiest lawmakers were worth almost $1.4 billion in 2009, about $85.1 million more than 12 months earlier, according to The Hill’s annual review of lawmakers’ financial disclosure forms.....
Twenty-seven Democrats along with 23 Republicans make up the 50 richest in Congress; 30 House members and 20 senators are on the list.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My personal thoughts on this subject.

No they are not. Most Congress people are millionaires, and were when they got elected. On top of that, many have been in Congress with all it's perks/pay for decades.**.Imagine how life would be for you if you were paid nearly $150k a year, plus full benies (health and retirement) plus your cash allotments for offices, meetings, trave..etc.. And you only had to work less than 150 days a year in order to get all of that.. **

When considering all of that. I think, It would be really really hard for the majority of them to really relate to/understand/comprehend what life is like for an hourly waged worker (much less an minimum wage worker) in this country.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't think there is an average american.

Besides, money = success. If you're rich then you must have done something right. If you're poor its because your too lazy to make something of yourself.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think we should look at where they came from in their lives.....but even then, it's a choice to have compassion and do what's best for someone else.....
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Pushes Soap Box to the middle of the room.

NO! DC hasn't a clue to what the average American has to do to keep a family, job, home, etc. I think something happens after that winners party in the local election, they get a Hollywood Head and then they go and live in that rarefied air in DC. I believe in term limits because I do not think that politics should be a career. They should have a term to serve their State, County, whatever, and go back and get a job. I don't think that they should have a LIFETIME retirement check for serving only ONE term! Come on, who works for four years and then gets paid until the day they die? I can understand a President having that benefit because what other job can you possibly do after that, Wal-Mart? Heck, I think most of the DC crowd now would fail a Wal-Mart test!

Pushes Soap Box back.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes, most of Congress IS out of touch, and most of them who claim to know what the "average American" is going through, don't have a clue. There are very few who go from living paycheck to paycheck (like a lot of Americans do) to being elected to Congress. There are a couple who have done this, but only a couple. I wholeheartedly support the notion that Congress should have term limits, so that we can get a more continuous "fresh crop" of representatives who truly understand what the "average American" goes through, what the bills they want to pass will REALLY do to us. Congress was never meant to be a career, never, and we need to make THAT happen.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't think Congress has been in touch with the average American for at least the better part of a century. Probably longer.

THe original idea was that someone would serve a couple of terms and then LEAVE for private life. That doesn't happen any more.

But the problem with term limits is that you then get the permanent staff and the lobbyists running things; there is so much every freshman class of Congress doesn't know and those lawmakers tend to be less effective than they had promised to be just because of institutional inertia.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Their wealth is deserved. Our wealth, however, is dirty, to be ashamed of, and seized so that it can be redistributed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

*****************************

Why Jesse, I'm shocked! Are you saying that some of them are hypocrits???? Say it ain't so!!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010