outlawing plastic bags

I'm watching HLN right now and apparently California is trying to outlaw plastic bags. if i heard correctly, they're voting on it today...

what are your thoughts? should plastic bags be outlawed or not? if they are, would you remember to bring your own bags to the grocery store? would it affect you? how?

I for one, never remember to bring my own bags, sometimes i run into bottom dollar where you have to purchase plastic bags if you want to use them, i never get much, but i'm always having my arms full on my way back to the car, so not to buy bags. most stores just add it to the groceries, but that's different when you don't actually see yourself buying the bags lol. and WHAT would i do with my dd's poopy diapers? i usuallly stick it in a bag, tie it and toss it. helps with the smell. i also use those for my car trash bag...lol i have so many uses for them, i don't know what i'd do without!

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• that's what I pack my husbands lunches in lol. And I use them for trash, and I NEVER remember my bags lol. I spend all that money on them and then forget them lol. I need my plastic bags lol. I'd hate it if they outlawed them, I would actually be really mad lol. I never throw plastic bags away because I can always reuse them!
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Is it also for bags used for house trash? I reuse my grocery plastic bags to through way household trash.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• totally ban. Are we not Humans with brains and others ways of doing things? ~damn chemical companies watching out for their bottom dollar~no better the BP
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it is a great idea. Several stores around her do not provide grocery bags and you know what? People bring their own or carry their stuff out to the car. Millions of bags are cluttering up the landfills... YAY California WTG!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have gotten better about remembering to bring my own reusable bags to the grocery store. but if I dont remember them and come home with plastic bags, I use them for cat box cleanup, for the small garbage pails in the bathrooms, sometimes for packing in boxes. I made a ghost decoration with some for halloween! But if they were outlawed I'd get by. I hate seeing them as litter!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I use waxed bags for the kids lunches or the plastic Bell 8oz cups with screw on lids (jarring section)....
    Our school gives awards to kids with no land fill lunches....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There are companies out there that make these bags. There will be more people out of work. Let's hope they can come up with biodegradable options... Like going back to recyclable paper bags? I carry my own bags in... My mom got me started on it quite a few years ago when she sent us all our Christmas presents in reusable bags... It was a fun way to get started. It stuck with us. It's my daughter's job to remember to put them in my car after we unload groceries.... Otherwise, I would forget! lol..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I always carry my own shopping bags. And some stores here in Portland have already quit using plastic bags.. The city itself will mot likely address the issue sometime in the near future. It was going to be brought up on the state level, but luckily, our state legislature is at least 1/2 smart enough to realize that the state of Oregon has more important fish to fry at this time.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• we used to use paper bags when i was little, those things wouldn't fit in the little trash cans in the bathroom, rooms, ect. the only use for those was if we ran out of trashbags in the kitchen, and they didn't hold much. so they'd just collect in the utility room, and we ended up just tossing them, cuz they attracted roaches. eeewww...the commissary lets you pic paper or plastic, i don't know anyone that pics paper because of those reasons.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Rats! Now I have to use my hands to pick up Daisy's dootie! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010