Constipation question

My daughters been having constipation issues. Shes now drinking regular milk. But while on formula has had these issues. Shes started finger foods and dont really want baby food. So what can i giver her to help ease it at least. Should i go see doc or no? They keep putting me on hold. I hate seeing her strain to poop. i know it hurts. Any help? Thanks in advance!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you introduced juice to her, maybe try giving her prune juice and dilute it a bit with water or cut some grapes up for her. My daughter had constipation issues too. Good Luck
    DNR

Answer by DNR at 3:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My daughter had/has this same problem. We consulted with her pediatrician(he diagnosed her with chronic constipation) and through his recommendations went through several trial and error changes in her diet. His first suggestion was to try giving her more dried fruits/fiber. Raisins and other dried fruits seemed to help. When that stopped working so much, he suggested giving her a little more than her usual 6 oz of apple juice a day. We went to btwn 8 and 10 oz a day, and that worked for a long time. That stopped being as effective, but we make sure to still include fibers and applejuice in her diet, and she's getting better. He suggested giving her half of an adult dose of Mirolax at night time when she started getting constipated again and that works, too. I always keep childrens suppositories on hand just in case (only had to use one once) and little Pedialax strips, too. (only used them twice) Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oatmeal is an excellent option.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• WAPPP: water, apricots, pears, plums, prunes

Real table fruit. Not jars and definitly not over processed gerber. Juice has too much sugar and no fiber.

Next, conquer the problem. Example: No rice cereal, its an overload of constipating iron. If she is still on jar food, stop, they don't have enough fiber. Stop cheese -- can be binding. Milk is likely exacerbating the probelm. If she's over a year old milk isn't necessary. Protein and fat can be obtained from foods like leafy greens, avocado, beans etc. Go all table food -- check out this: baby led solids

Oh one more thing, when she's trying to poop hold her in a "potty position" low squat, or get a baby bjorn potty so she can poop freely in a squat to help "open up" and let gravity help (yes, you can do this -- my 11mo has not been in diapers for over 2 months -- its part of elimination communication)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There is a powder that you add to their drink that helps make that process easier. I can't remember what it is called, but you can go to any pharmacy and they should be able to tell you. It used to be only by prescription, but it is now over-the-counter. Made things much easier for my son.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 4:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Make sure the juices are 100% natural and what ever you do keep her away from potoes of any kind, including french fries!! My daughter also had this problem and we went through a hell of a lot with it too, some of which wasn't pleasent to my daughter. Things HIGH in FIBER! Please, keep a very close eye on her and don't let her stain for to long before you get help. She doesn't have enough liquid in her intestines is what we were told and she also had to take something to help soften it up. I should have started this out with.... Please, do take your daughter to the doctor! It may not be a serious problem but believe me, it can become a very serious problem!!! It took seeing blood in the toilet bowl right after she pooped to me me on the ball with it, I had been doing some things that were helpful to her but I wasn't doing enough. Please, please. Do not put you and your daughter through what me and my daughter had to go through
    MomlovesRed

Answer by MomlovesRed at 4:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• a little white corn syurp will not hurt her it will ease the strain ( by little i mean like a drop or two) in her bottle. my dd has the same prob. and it helps her.
    shortstuff69

Answer by shortstuff69 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• How old? How often is she going? What is it like (pellets, dry, soft, etc) Any other symptoms that might be helpful? NO KARO if under a year or so.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• with my daughter I do the old fashioned trick of mixing a tablespoon on light caro (corn syrup) in with 4 oz of water, works everytime! My daughter is 6 months so I'm not sure how well it works as they get older but its def. Worth a try!
    angsmommy

Answer by angsmommy at 11:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• angsmommy, Karo can be dangerous in infants. No judging or bashing, just letting you know, because it seems you didn't know this. I'd want to know if it was something I used.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010