how do you get children to start following ur routine

i just left my husband in march and my kids see him every day we are still friends but when it comes to bed time or chores they dont want to listen to me they just scream for their father how do i stop this with out losing my mind

Tinkerbell80

Asked by Tinkerbell80 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe talk to your ex about backing you up on stuff....so when your kids whine and complain or don't want to do something then you can say "here, call him" and he can tell them the exact same thing you just said to them. If they know he's not going to give them an out, they really don't have any other option.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Depends on the age of the kids.- But you might want to say, "Daddy isn't here now- but Mommy is & Mommy is in charge- so you need to follow the rules." Don't let the guilt of the separation keep you from parenting the way you normally would. Don't let them take advantage of you. There needs to be consequences for disobeying or disrespecting either parent, together or not. If you are concerned the break up is really effecting them, please get them some counseling. Good luck to you all
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• How old are they? My daughter is 3 and we just made her a routine chart, she loves it. We wrote down the things she has to do as soon as she wakes up (make her bed, get dressed, brush teeth, brush hair, eat, homeschool lesson, then play) we drew pictures next to the words, and she colored them in. For night time we did the same thing. She loves it, and its a good visual reminder of what she needs to do before she can go and play. She does not get to do anything else before she does those. In her nighttime routine she has to pick up all her toys in her room, she gets 10 minutes, anything not picked up goes away for a while. Through the rest of the day we do five minute clean up breaks. We set the timer for 5 minutes and she has to clean up during that time. When she is a bit older we will do a chore chart, with small tasks, and she will have to do them for 5 min a piece.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just stick to your guns momma! Let them know the rules are not going to change and that daddy agrees with you. Maybe having dad have the same thing at his house too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• thanks girls u guys are helping me lots . my kids are 11 ,5,4
    Tinkerbell80

Comment by Tinkerbell80 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just be strict and hold to it and make there father do the same at his house because if he lets them slid they wont do it for u.
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 8:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011