What is scraping the membrane?

I keep hearing about it and was wondering what exactly this means!

PiscesRooster

Asked by PiscesRooster at 3:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Could it be that it's stripping your membranes? This is a procedure where your doctor uses his finger to separate the amniotic membrane from your cervix. They usually do it to help bring on labor or to enhance a slow to start labor. It's typically a painful thing and more natural minded mom's usually will refuse it as it's a type of intervention.
    tzmom

Answer by tzmom at 3:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My Dr did this to me to try to start my labor.....its called "stripping the membranes" and it was more painful than the whole rest of childbirth.... I almost kicked the Dr in the face!!!!! BAD.....sorry to scare you if thats what your Dr has mentioned...but just being honest! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my dr. did this to me and i had pre labor for three day s before I actually had true labor and it was painful.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I had this done. It is called stripping the membranes and it hurt like hell. I was almost in tears when I left the office. I started to go into labor that night, but the contractions stopped. I didn't give birth until 1.5 weeks after having them stipped ... so it doesn't always work, and it doesn't always hurt like it did for me.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2008