my husband is in the Army...

so my husband just joined the army..and we just moved to are first duty station is it normal for me to feel distant from him????i just feel like he has no time for me and the kids anymore???? is this normal?

Rebecca.R.

Asked by Rebecca.R. at 3:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• well it depends.. do you feel distant because he is working a lot of going out with the guys! there is a difference and im sure you just miss your best friend and some family back at home... just give it sometime.. and talk to him, oh and have family time once a week! Good Luck ARMY WIFE!
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• That is going to be the feeling you have until he is out of the military =). Understand you're the mistress now, and he is married to the military.

I do wish you luck, but it's a hard road ahead. He can get called in to work at any time, leave randomly, etc... And there is nothing you can do about it. Mine is rarely home these days as well, but hey we get a stable life and a decent paycheck for it.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• thats pretty normal for army life. My DH has been in the army for 5 years and at times I feel like I never talk to him, even when he isnt deployed. He isnt purposley avoiding you or anything, but the army, or any branch of military for that matter, is pretty stressful. And especially if he just joined and hes a lower ranking guy he could be getting alot of crap from the older guys. I was lucky I think to have been with him for 4 yrs and no kids before he joined the Army. Join your FRG and make some new friends and you wont feel so lonely anymore. Things do get better.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• That's normal military life. Unfortunately, that contract that he signed means that he belongs to the government, and his family doesn't really matter any more (in the eyes of the gov). Sad, but true. Just let him know (in a non-accusatory way) that you do feel the distance and that it bothers you. He probably feels the same.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010