I am ready to pull my hair out............

Ok so my step-son just moved in with us the beginning of August so he could go to school down where we live. Last year he didn't give two shits about school his grades were horrible he past 7th grade with the skin of his teeth. Homework he never did it and his mother never made a point to make sure it got done so we moved him down here and today was the 5th day of school and the teachers wants a meeting with us cause his homework isn't getting done. I have been the one home when he gets home from school and his father goes to work at 3pm. Anyways i have asked him and looked in his backpack to make sure that work isn't in there. He has been putting it in his locker and not bringing it home. Well his father and I are pissed and he thought he was gonna get away with this. WRONG.. We have to wait 2-3 more weeks for us to be able to get on the computer to look and see what he has for homework and make sure it gets done. CONT...

raemommy

Asked by raemommy at 3:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Good for you MOM!!! I wouldn't put up with it either. My goddaughter came to live me with for a while last year, & that was one of the issues, the other was her backtalking to her mother..

Within 4 weeks of me & hubby riding her butt about homework, her grades went wayyy up. & she got into good work habits. It got to the point even if we weren't home after she got home from school, she'd sit there do her homework, & leave it out for us to check...

Do something like that. Make sure hes doing it. See if the teacher can email you all he has to do at the end of the day, so you can make him do it. Take everything away, until its done...

He just needs to see that someone cares enough to make sure hes doing it.

I was a child like that. I didnt do my homework, bc I thought if no one else cared why should i??? Im soo not going to be that way with my child... He has work he does it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 4:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Maybe you could get some kind of agreement with a counselor or someone at the school to make sure that you are getting the homework sent to your house. Or maybe you could pick it up yourself at the school? If you can get the work, you will stand a much better chance of getting it done on time. It may very well be that the child is testing you and his dad to see how much interest you are going to show. I always try to look past the behavior and see if I can determine some kind of need. He may just need to know that you all aren't going to let him get away with less than his best, and that can be a very good thing. I would let him know that I will be checking on a daily basis with the school just to make sure he is keeping up with all assignments and that he is cooperating. I would also tell him there will be no privileges granted until all his satisfactory at the school.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am so mad right now I really though he was understanding what we wanted from him and he is just got the I don't care attitude. So needless to say his father and him are on the way over to the school to get all this homework out of his locker and he has to have it all done. What the hell am I gonna do with this kid. I don't want him to fail in this world and his mother isn't any help the best choice  she's ever made is agreeing with us for him to live with us. So thanks for listening mommas if you all have something to say please share. I give a crap and so does his father. All in all he is a good kid.

raemommy

Comment by raemommy (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Maybe you could try bribery? Restrict his TV privileges? For every A he gets on a test, maybe give him some cash or let him do something he likes to do? Bribery worked for me, I graduated high school with a 4.0 and got a new car...
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010