At What Age Do You Start Potty Training?

I have a 14 month old baby boy, and I was just wondering at what age you start potty training.

williamrandsmom

Asked by williamrandsmom at 4:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When they are ready. My daughter was 21 months old and my son was 3yrs old.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I waited until all mine were ready and showing signs of being ready. They were all two and a half once they were potty trained, and it only took a few weeks.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I started both my DS & DD when they were 3 years old. I made sure they could speak to tell me they needed to go, and also be old enough to understand the feeling of needing to go.
    Waiting until each was ready made potty training so easy for us! I highly recommend waiting
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Whenever you feel they are ready(and YOU too)
    I got potty chairs for both of mine along with potty books and potty videos.I let them check the stuff out, play with it but I never pushed them to go to the potty. ANd quite honestly...my son pretty much potty trained himself. He was out of diapers by the time he was 2 years old. He used to love to sit in his potty chair in front of the tv watching his potty video and reading his potty book,lol.
    My daughter who is 18 months is not yet trained but she's experimenting around with it. She likes the potty book, loves the potty chair,follows me into the bathroom and wants her diaper off so she can sit on her potty and she has peed in her potty twice. She even walks in the bathroom on her own to sit on the potty chair.It just depends on the child..if they are interested or not..and DONT PUSH it...or they will push back and not do it! Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I know that he is probably still too young, but my husband wants to start at 18 months, that is why I was asking, and how will I know when my son is ready?
    williamrandsmom

Comment by williamrandsmom (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I started when my son was about 25 months old. His readiness signs were telling us when he went. He also started taking his diaper off. I went with the flow and had him choose a potty chair, I chose a travel potty ring, he chose his own underpants and I grabbed some plain white undies and trainers. you want to start slow! Introduce the basics. Take him to the bathroom for a show and tell. When you go pee, narrate what you are doing. "mama is sitting on the potty to go pee pee!", "this is toilet paper to wipe wipe wipe!", "now time to flush! bye bye pee pee!" LOL. You get the idea! Also buy some potty dvds (free one on pullups.com) and some potty board books. My son seemed to really grasp the idea while watching older kids talk about it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was curious if my daughter was ready so i sat her on potty ring around 15 months and she was very good not too much luck with poop but she is regular and i use diapers during nap and night times. She tells me "Mama Caca" and we go to the bathroom. she is learning to wipe and then she washes her hands and dries them on a towel and she puts a sticker on her potty chart. On days when she is not feeling well I don't make her go on the potty but it seems to be working.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 18 months is an okay age i think. we started my son when he was 19 months. hes 21 months now and potty trained with a few poop accidents that we are still working on. but no more diapers which is great. when you do it just go straight to underwear so he is not confused. a bit messy at first but worth it in the long run. oh and the videos are great too. my son loves potty time with elmo.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010