Is it wrong to marry your first cousin

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's not something I would consider...
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Duh.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well...for genetic purposes of the children that may be made during the marriage,I would say its not that great of an idea. The children could have all kinds of problems,deformities and everything from that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well, their children would be much more likely to suffer abnormalities due to parents sharing a gene pool, so I don't think it is wise idea. It is definitely unfair to the children of they have any.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't think its a good idea, due to the implications on children. Apparently it was very common until people realized the genetic issues.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes, I think so.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• In most western cultures it is.

Some places don't have enough mates to go around, some just have different social structures, but it is acceptable for some cultures.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• As long as they don't have any children together, like if they're well past their child rearing days (like in their 60s/70s) and just want companionship, then go for it. Personally....gag me, please, I wouldn't ever consider marrying a family member, 1st cousin, 2nd cousin, 7th cousin twice removed, absolutely not.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• EWW! I dont think it's even legal in most states. You really need to reconsider your choices/options.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• While techically experts are saying it only increases genetic defects by about 2-3% over the general population, I don't know if I believe that. There are so many genetic defects that are mild and have not been identifed/named, I think its probably a lot higher. My husband and I are different ethnicities from different countries, and we have a child with a genetic mutation of a specific condition that has never been seen before. He's patient #1. His varient would not have been identified 5 years ago. I think as genetic medicine continues to advance, the number of same family couples with children with genetic mutations is going to skyrocket. So to answer your question.... no I don't think its not a good idea. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010