Are a baby in the wombs Lungs fully developed at 36 weeks?

I was just wondering if I go into labor this week (36 weeks pregnant) or so because I feel pretty weird, and I want to be prepared... if my babys lungs will be just fine?

AngelEyva

Asked by AngelEyva at 4:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 37 weeks is supposed to be the safe day. =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No they're not fully developed but the baby usually will still survive. My daughter was born three weeks early and she had to be in an incubator for three days because her lungs weren't fully developed. But the last month is always the hardest on Mom. You may feel weird but it doesn't mean the baby is coming just yet. More likely wishful thinking, lol. I thought I was going into labour every other day the last few weeks of my son's pregnancy.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 4:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No way to tell without an amnio. Some are fine at 34 weeks, some aren't fine until 40+. Every baby is different and has a different gestational period. If you go into labor naturally, though... not because you're stressed or dehydrated etc... then chances are baby is ready.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• They can do amnio to find out. But I wouldn't count on it. My son was born at 36 to 37 weeks(drs debated) his lungs collapsed shortly after birth and he was in the NICU for two weeks. He didn't have the surfactants in the lungs. Thats what they check for when they do amnio for it. When he was 3 mos he contracted pnemonia and was hospitalized again and they believe it's related to this. Keep em in if you can momma!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There is no way to know without doing an Amnio. My Friend is delivering Today at 36 weeks with complications but they wouldn't deliver until they done an Amnio. Luckily his were mature.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Wow I really dont think I want to rush this baby out. I mind as well just go through you know what with the braxton hicks and wait until the baby is good and ready. Im having a c section on September 28th regardless but i totally did NOT want to wait... I would rather go through hell then put my baby through hell because I wanted to be impatient. I guess September 28th is it then :-\
    AngelEyva

Comment by AngelEyva (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• hugsGood thinking Momma! It'll go so fast! Promise! It was hell for both of us leaving him at the hospital! Hang in there!

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Most of the time if you go into labor before 38 weeks they will give you the steroid to help lung development. At 36 weeks "MOST" babies will still need a few days or weeks in the NICU some do not but most will. Usully this is just to allow them to learn to adjust body temp,get the hang of eating as babies born before 38 weeks havent fully developed sucking reflexes, and to let the lungs develop more.
    Try not to stress,if you really think you may be getting ready call your OB and ask her to do a test to see if labor is near. Hugs !!!
    We've had 3 babes born before 36 weeks,its scary and extremly sad to have toleave your baby,Id do anything and everyhting to keep them in until time,but its not as bad as it sounds mostly. The first 2 stayed in the NICU for only 7 days, the 3rd was a month but he was ill.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It really depends on the baby on how well he or she matured.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes it is safe to deliver
    Ajmomof4

Answer by Ajmomof4 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010