Has anyone taken any parenting classes?

I have a 2 yr old and & Mos old girls and my hubby is away working during the week and comes home on weekends.. He has no idea to take care of the girls or even dicipline and I am thinking of enrolling both of us into some parenting classes so he may get some advice and i am going with him so he wont be offended. what do you think?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would look for a Love & Logic Class. Wish I would have taken it when the kids were smaller.
    alexsmomaubrys2

Answer by alexsmomaubrys2 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i did parenting classes before my youngest was born. it helps give you some ideas on ways to handle things.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think, if he is willing, that is an awesome idea. If he doesn't agree to go initially, just try to get him to understand how much it would help you if you were both on the same page. He probably doesn't want to discipline them since he is gone all week. That's what my ex-husband used to tell me when he was seeing the kids since he was only with them for a few days. Of course, we were divorced so anything he do to make my life more difficult, he did. Hopefully that won't be the case with y'all. Good luck and God Bless!
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 4:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I haven't but I'd kind of like to (and for DH to go as well). The only thing is that the ones here don't allow kids. Is that normal? I would think at a parenting class you'd be allowed to have your kids present, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I took parenting classes when I was pregnant with my first 5 years ago, I learned a lot. Even though I hadn't had my baby yet it prepared me for the following years, parenting classes are not bad to take. I think parents that make that choice are actually good parents especially when they need help with different parenting skills. Every time I talk about it to some family members they make me feel like crap, stating that I'm not a good parent because I can't figure it out on my own but its not about that its about different parenting, I'm not gonna whoop my kids for everything, I think what your doing is a great idea, and your husband will hear it from a professional and not feel like its your way and like your bossing him around!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My husband and I took a Love & Logic parenting class when our twins were 17 months old and our older daughter was 12. It was offered for free by the local school district. We both learned a lot and we found ourselves discussing things we had never thought about. We decided to give the technique a try, and since we were both on board it was a lot easier to stick to it (kind of like dieting with a buddy instead of going it alone). It worked great with all 3 of our children, and now the kids are getting pretty much the same response whether they are with me or with their dad. Also, now when my husband handles a situation I'm not left thinking, "that's not how I would have done it." It has been a great experience for my whole family. I highly recommend it. Sign yourselves up and GO!

We did have to get a babysitter to attend, but it was still worth it...plus it was the closest to a date we'd had since the twins!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• One more thing - L&L worked so well for us that my husband tells people about it all the time. When he sees other people with misbehaving children he always tells me he knows how to "fix" that, and he would gladly tell the parents if they asked.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh yes if u have a human resource or food stamp office they should be able to help u get started
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 8:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011