Do you take your dog(s) to a groomer?

I have a short haired dog, so I bathe him at home. I would never have a long haired dog, too much shedding, too much maintenance, not enough time. I've worked as a groomer's assistant for a few years now, and you wouldn't believe the amount of dogs I've seen who are matted and neglected!
So just wondering; if you have a dog, do you take them to a groomer, or do you do all your own bathing and brushing?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pets

• We have a toy poodle and we take him to the groomer. We've always done this, but I hear matting can be painful, so I'm glad that has never happened.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yes , occasionally. inbetween, it is I who does the bathing/cleaning.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Mine is short-haired, so no. But I do take her to one to get her nails clipped (or rather grinded down). They do it for free too, which is nice.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sabrina, I've encountered hundreds of poodles (toy, miniature, and standard) and a lot of them become matted no matter what. They're mostly just small knots, but there was one time we had a poodle that was so terribly matted we had to shave him completely, and the fur came off in the shape of the dog, all in one clump! =(
    SarahLeeMorgan

Comment by SarahLeeMorgan (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• YES- i take my Chi/Yorkieto the groomer about every 3weeks- She has Funky Hair- LOL but,i mostly take her that often b/c she needs her Anal Glands done!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Brushing yes, bathing, no... I can't lift a 100 lb German Shepherd into the tub, and we have 2 of them... I do however bathe and brush our 53lb Husky...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We've got a Malamute, no bathing / grooming required. Occasionally a brush, but that's about it.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• we have taken them to the grommer some but i have done a lot of it my self to much money
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2010