Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

section 8 question

Do you need to be working to get section 8 ?
I'm currently getting food stamps, I just applyed for cash,. Im staying with a family memeber Until my & my husband gets back on our feet. WE been 3 months looking for jobs and nothing, I cant stay here for ever, sooner or later my uncle is gonna want to be alone in his house.
SO i'm asking is there any programs out there that can give us a home, Until we find a job or somthing, ugh i'm soo lost & clueless.
I hope you guys get what im trying to say.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Parenting Debate

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Each state has their own set of rules when it comes to a section 8 program.

    Contact your caseworker he/she should be able to point you in the right direction to sign up...
    There can and most likely will be a long waiting period, but don't stress... it is like that all over...
    Just get the paper work done and sent in, and keep all of your information current with the section 8 dept.
    i.e.... new work, hrs of work, family size change, etc... even phone numbers and mailing address, keep it
    all current with them while you wait...
    Also I do know that in MI you can find yourself an apt/ or house (rental) and still qualify for the program also
    be working too... it will depend on your dependents and yrly income...

    Good Luck

    Answer by gmasboy at 5:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Each state has it's own guidelines for housing assistance.

    Since you are already receiving some forms of assistance. I would assume you have a Case Worker/Case Manager. If you do have one. Go through them to find out if you qualify and what all it takes to apply. Going through your Case Worker/Case Manager will help you more than just going it alone. If you do qualify, they can also make notes and flag your file as a case that needs immediate assistance (if you case worker feels that you do) which can help you to receive housing assistance sooner if you qualify for it.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 4:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • If section 8 is the same as HUD, then in my state, you don't have to be working because I know several people who are having their rent partially or fully paid by the state and don't have jobs.

    Answer by Erin814 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Usually yes you have to be working. If you are near mesa AZ there is a place that will let you stay for 4mnths you have to be looking for work or working one of the two.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010