Why wont my son use the potty?

I'm a first time mom and I've read book after book on potty training I've learned all the signs and my 2 year old son is doing most of them. He can go 2 hours with out being wet, he tells me when he's wet or stinky, he'll bring me diapers, ect so we went and let him pick out his own potty and we've taken him into the bathroom with us since he could crawl but he refuses to use the potty. I can get him to sit on it if his got cloths on but if I take his cloths off like before he takes a both and I ask him to sit on his potty he freaks out.
WHAT DO I DO???

Tifr88

Asked by Tifr88 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just wait until he turns 3. That's what I did with all of mine and seriously, they were trained in 3 days. They had only used the potty once or twice before that. I took the diapers away completely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just give it some time. Even if kids are physically ready, it is a much easier process if they are also emotionally ready. If he is freaking at the idea of sitting on the potty, give it some time. You may be surprised at how much more co-operative he is in a month or two.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• He is not ready. Give him time.

The average age of potty training is still 4 unless you are on CafeMom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son is the same way, he will use the potty as long as he has his diaper on, but flips out if I try to take it off. He tells me when he has to go, or has gone in his diaper, and does everything else you stated.. My thoughts personally are to just give him time. Im hoping to have him potty trained around age 3 completely, and I think he will definitely be ready by then. He tried to pee in the potty standing up yesterday, lol. Didnt work out too well, but atleast hes showing some sort of interest. Alot of times in the past two weeks or so, he doesnt want me to put another diaper on him once I change him, so he will tell me when he has to go (he has pee'd on the floor about 3 or 4 times though, lol) and I will try to get him to use the potty but most of the time he resists and Ill put the diaper on and have him sit on the potty with it on. He did sit on the potty once but hopped up immediately and said "hiney cold!" lol..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• sit on the potty once without a diaper** sorry lol
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i would make sure you go to straight underwear, no diapers or pull ups, except for maybe bedtime. 2 is a good age to potty train, not too early. if he freaks out too much, just try not to push it. you may have to wait a month or so and reintroduce it, but i'm not saying wait until he is 3 or 4. i could not see myself changing a 3 year olds diaper! i tried training my son when he was 15 months (showed all the signs your son is) and he freaked out also, he just didnt want to do it. so we put the potty away and didnt speak of it again until 19 months. hes 21 months now and pee potty trained and almost completely poo trained. it only took a few days for him to pee train, and hes also night trained. he wears only underwear all day every day. maybe try a different potty. even though he picked that one out, it might not really be the kind he will use. we went through 3. he wanted to used the big potty! and now he stands! good luck :)
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• put cheerios in the potty and tell him to shoot them. make it fun, did it for my first son and he like it so much he tried to go even if he didnt have too and he was only 15 months old.
    Denise P.

Answer by Denise P. at 8:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010