When helping your children with thier homework and you see that they have completed it not to your standard..

Do you make them erase and correct it or just let them take it in as is?

My son had to write his spelling words 2x a piece and put them in alphabetical order. After he was done, he realized that he skipped 3 of the words. So he just went back ,wrote in the words,drawing lines to them and it looks very sloppy.
Now, its in my neat instinct here to make him erase it and do it properly.I said it once very calmly that this is what I thought he should do.But he has copped an attitude and said "ITS FINE,MA".

Shall I just let him take that mess in or make him change it?
I did give him the choice(and this is a change for me because normally I would have made him change it).
I told him that I'd like him to take pride in his work and turn it in neatly.But he's in 4th grade now and I don't want to hold his hand anymore through homework, he has to make these decisions on his own.
Help??? lol

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My view on this is, if you're always finding and fixing mistakes for your kids, they won't learn on their own. Let him take it in as is; you made your suggestion, and if the teacher agrees with you, she'll probably have him redo it. :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I dunno. It seems kind of anal to make him do it over just to keep it neat. I mean I understand it should be written clearly so that the teacher can read it and understand it but at the same time if he gave it his best effort and it's just a bit messy but easy to read, why sweat over it?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It depends, he did do it, so at least theres that.

but i might make him re-do it neater.......because they have to be in order......

plus it helps him study more. =)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Personally, I'd make him re-do it, lol.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• All this sounds like us my ds is a 4th grader and yesterday we went through the same thing he had spelling words 3x's he had to write them but his 3rd column did look messy so I erased it FOR HIM (I know it was a NO-NO) but I did this bc I can see him trying to erase and I can see it already either he won't erase it neatly and write over it and really make it sloppy looking or he'll end up tearing the paper...arg! Anyway I had him re-write the third column he was not happy but I told him if you do it right the first time you wouldn't have to do this again. Last year he was a 3rd grader and I did help him a lot and I told him before school starts you will eon your own I will answer any questions but I will not coach him with his school work. :( I want to but I know I have to let him do this on his own or else how are they going to learn. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• if the teacher thinks it's too messy she will have him re-do it...I say leave it alone. He did the homework and you told him what you thought. Now it's on him ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I wouldnt tell him to redo it that time but I would let him know that it should be neater the next time and that I may make him redo it the next time if it isnt
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• this is the 9-12 age group and my answer would be very different for a 9 yr old vs. a 12 yr old.
    At some point they have to take the responsiblity... you have to back off and if they get a bad grade then they get a bad grade.
    You can not follow them all the way through until they are in college or they will never learn how to do it on their own.

I havent looked at my kids work in years (13 yr old) and he pulls in straight As because we taught him early on HOW to do thing correctly.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i must not have scrolled down enough...
    I totally agree with not holding his hand and letting him deal with the teacher.
    4th grade is pleanty old to start that process.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'd encourage neat work, but I don't think I'd actually make him redo it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010