My 11 year old son is constantly complaining about being bored. Drives me crazy. Any advice?

christy_lvr

Asked by christy_lvr at 5:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Strip his room of everything remotely entertaining for fun. Then wait a week for him to discover true bordum. Then give his stuff back. I bet he won't be bored again for a really long time. Or.... kick him outside to play and not let him back in for an hour or so everytime he says that. He will either find something entertaining to do, or be more greatful of what's inside. :) YEah... I know. I'm a mean mom like that. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Have a list of chores always prepared and assign him one off the list. When he is done with that one, ask him if he's still bored. If he is, give him another one. When boredom wears out, he may be ready for a nice long nap.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well tell him if he is bored tell him you will find something to wash, scrub or dust. Kid hate to wipe down walls!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Find some work for him to do. He'll get unbored real fast after that. When my kids continually complain about being bored I break out the bucket of water and have them wash the walls or scrub the floors or some other mundane chores. They either scamper outside as soon as I get up to find the bucket or say they'll go read or something after 5 minutes of cleaning.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Give em chores! My kids never say I'm bored they know there is plenty I can give them to do around the house.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My little brother (who we take care of) is 11 as well, and does the saaaaame thing. Regardless of how many different ideas or activites I give him, lol. If you figure it out, please let me know, it drives me nuts as well! Lol. GL :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Get him involved in sports or a group that does activities.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'd suggest sports or group activities as well, my boys are never bored. Sometimes I wonder if they over do it, but honestly they like staying busy. Once a weekend we all get a rest to just hang out at home or go to the movies or out to dinner. Try to see if you can figure out his interests - anything is good from sports, to drama, music, art. My oldest took drama classes a theater in town for a couple years he loved it and they aren't usually too expensive, you can get guitar or piano lessons as well (my son did this too and it didn't cost much).
    I agree too with chores, when my kids have down days and are bored because they have nothing going on, there is nothing wrong with helping mom with her chores. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I tell my 11 year old when she says that to either clean the house or read a book. There is always something to do.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I am going thru the exact same thing w/ my 9 yr old! I like these ladies ideas though. I might just have to find a bucket before he gets off the bus- that way I'm prepared for him to say it, lol.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010