My son got bit by a friend of ours' dog about 6 weeks ago and is now terrified of big dogs. He is a huge animal lover. Any advice to help him get over it?

christy_lvr

Asked by christy_lvr at 5:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pets

• You might try finding some books for kids his age that will help him. Did he do anything to startle the dog or did it just bite for no reason? Kids can startle without meaning too, I am putting NO blame on your son. Have you taught him to stand still and hold his hand out to a dog he doesn't know ( I don't mean walking up to one on the street but if you go to someone's house) That way the dog gets a sense of smell of him. And you might talk to him about that dogs bite for many reasons but that doesn't always mean they are awful dogs. Maybe restart him with getting aquainted with smaller dogs, ones you are sure won't bite and stay by his side the whole time while he interacts with it. It will take him a while to get over his fears. I'm really sorry that happened to him.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Can't say I'd blame him. I'd be scared too if I had been bit.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• sorry about that.just give your son some time
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2010