Has this happened to anyone else & how big was your baby at birth?

33 weeks 4 days ultrasound says baby weighs 6 lbs. 2 ozs. Family doctor is sending me to ob starting next week already talking about c-section. Did you end up having to have a c-section?

SweetOrangeMama

Asked by SweetOrangeMama at 5:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• they told me she would be big and scheduled an induction. At birth she was over 1 lb smaller than they said.

Unless there is a medical reason that the baby needs to come out, I would let nature take it's course. Ultrasounds are still guesswork when it comes to babies weight.

Women have 10 lb babies vaginally everyday with no complications.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i don't remember how far along i was, but i do remember being told my baby would easily surpass 8 - 9lbs. he was born at 6lbs 3 oz. us guesses can vary by 1 to 2 lbs. i certainly would not have a c-section if the only reason is a 'big baby.' my neighbor recently had her 1st. he was a home birth, all natural, and weighed 10lbs. she's not a big women btw.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Heck no, i was 37weeks and they said from ultrasound baby weighed 8lbs3oz and they wanted to do a c-section the next week. I was like nope, I've birthed bigger and will birth this one too. When I started having contractions, I stayed home as long as possible and didn't show up to the hospital until almost time to push. Didn't even have time for an epidural which they probably would have used to give me a c-section anyways. Express your concerns 1st and if it doesn't work you can always not show up the day of the section.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• oh, baby was 8lbs15oz
    keisha613

• First ultrasounds are notorious for being WAY off. They never told me what my child weighed at the moment, but what they did say was at his current weight if you carry to term you will have a 10+lb baby. Well I was 10 days early and that 10+ lb baby was a mere 7 lbs 1 oz!! A very close friend had 2 at home natural births of 10+ lb babies so it most certainly can be done. I personally would NEVER allow a doctor to perform a c-section for the sole reason of a POSSIBLE large baby. Good luck!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• At that point of gestation an ultrasound can be off by 2+ lbs! It is VERY rare for women to present with true Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD), in normal circumstances women grow babies that are perfect for their bodies =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• One other thing...you do realize that doctors get a kick-back for the c-sections that they perform.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• At 32 weeks I was told my middle child was over 7lbs. He was born 5 weeks later at 9lb1oz. Ultrasounds can be WAY off, by as much as 2lbs. Don't let them bully you into a c-section. If you want a natural labor tell the ob and your doc you want a vaginal and are willing to do the work to have one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• With my daughter I almost had one she was breach Feb,7 is the day it was supposed to take place I had a ob app on the 6 to sign papers and a check up to be thrilled he told me he felt a head not feet the ultrasound proved it to and she was 8 lbs 5 oz's dont let them cut on you just because oh yea i still had her on the 7 i went in to labor on my own that day.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010