Nook vs. Kindle

Between my daughters and I we are running out of shelf space. We are avid readers and our bookshelves are literally about to collapse :) We usually don't borrow from the library, so I was considering purchasing a digital reader.
Does anybody own either a nook or kindle? What are the pros or cons? Which do you think is better and why?

Mercy121

Asked by Mercy121 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Shopping

• I gave you a bump because I am interested, too!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't have either, but I do read books off of my Kindle iPhone app. (It's free) They also have free applications for PCs. If you want something you can walk around with, I would get whichever is cheaper. I've heard really great things about both!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The iTouch is too small for me to read so I was hoping the nook or kindle would work out better. I tried out the nook at barnes and noble and felt it was okay. If there are no major differences then I would definitely go with the one that is cheaper.
    Mercy121

Comment by Mercy121 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I haven't tried the Nook, but I love my Kindle. I have the first generation, so I can't speak to any new features.

Pros:
    - Can download a book in under a minute anywhere you can pick up a cell phone signal (Sprint network)
    - Most new titles are $9.99 or under. The older the book, usually the cheaper the book.
    - Built in dictionary feature
    - Can read your books online

Cons
    - The cost of the Kindle. It's been coming down with new competition.
    - No page numbers. I miss knowing that!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I bought my husband a nook for his birthday, he really likes it. He picked it out over the other ereaders because he liked the e-ink, and also the interface was easier to manage. You can also access all of the books at Barnes and noble while in store for free. Not that we ever have the time to hang out and read at barnes and noble, but I thought that was a nice little perk. If I ever wanted time to myself, I could steal his nook and go sit at the coffee shop in the barnes and noble and read whatever.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have the Nook. I love how easy it is to navigate around. It has a "Reading Now" tab that gets you directly into the book you are reading at the exact page. It has a book mark feature, word look up, etc. You can search all the Barnes and Nobles titles including thousands of free book and short story options. Books literally download in seconds. The reader is really easy on the eyes and has different font size options. I also bought a case for it that has a built in reading light for night time use since I love to read in bed. Nook also has a web browser wi-fi that really came in handy while I was on vacation. Plus ,as the above mom said, you can read any B&N book while in-store.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I love my Kindle; the books download anywhere I'm at (It uses 3G and it's free), it has plenty of space, it's easy to read on, and the selection of books/periodicals is amazing. They even have quite a selection of free books. You can even download samples of any book for free, and they keep track of books you've bought and make recommendations for you. One of my favorite features is that it knows all of the books you've downloaded before, so even if it's not on your Kindle (or you forget it's there), it will tell you that you've already purchased it. You can also log onto Amazon and note books you've read that you haven't downloaded if they've been recommended. If you accidentally buy something that you didn't mean to, you can also undo it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Consumer Reports recommends the Kindle. www.consumerreports.org

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010