Do you think officials would really encourage employees attend a biased, political rally?

Washington Examiner: President Obama’s top education official urged government employees to attend a rally that the Rev. Al Sharpton organized to counter a larger conservative event on the Mall.

“ED staff are invited to join Secretary Arne Duncan, the Reverend Al Sharpton, and other leaders on Saturday, Aug. 28, for the ‘Reclaim the Dream’ rally and march,” began an internal e-mail sent to more than 4,000 employees of the Department of Education on Wednesday.
The Washington Examiner learned of the e-mail from a Department of Education employee who felt uncomfortable with Duncan’s request.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, indeed.

Also, there's a controversy here in CA about members of the CA nurses union being cajoled into attending a Sacramento rally in exchange for continuing education credits. It was targeted against Meg Whitman.

NOTHING suprises me any more. It's not at all about serving the public, it's about winning.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I bet I know where these SEIU guys went to school!!!  LMAO!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• But a political rally?

yep, nothing surprises me anymore. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• LOL!!! I am sure someone will start posting misspelled signs for conservative rallies to counter yours.  But that was pretty funny. 

Not surprised that it was heavily union represented either.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• hahaha Amercan..for some reason i'm not surprised being that it is the SEIU
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think that something like this will be looked at as the "abuse of power" if they felt in any way intimidated or their job would be made hard if they didn't attend issues. Also, can one political party heads "suggest" their staff not attend the opposing party's events? I wouldn't think that will be able to stand the "ethics" test.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it is one thing for a company to invite its employees..even though I wouldn't...and another altogether for the GOVERNMENT to invite employees. I just wonder how well it would fly if my dear hubby invited his folks to the next tea party? My husband is military and the invite would go out via military email...that is after all where they work.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, if that is the way they say it, that is how they spell it! Like my kid in 5th grade, lol!

But, I think I would like to see the email before I pass judgment..... but it doesn't sound good on the face of it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I <3 Irony!!!!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Link, (on phone can't send clicky.....)
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Education-secretary-urged-his-employees-to-go-to-Sharpton_s-rally-651280-101839293.html
    ~~~~~~

What if 4000 people were encouraged by government officials to attend Beck's rally?
    ~~~~~

Either way, wouldn't that make you uncomfortable as an employee?
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010