Tired of turning the other cheek.....

I rarely post to my Facebook, mostly all people see are game updates. However, I was frustrated and upset the other day, so I posted lyrics I knew my friends would recognize and understand how I felt. They asked if I was okay. I said I felt like everything was futile, meaning trying to keep up w/ work, the house, the kids, and still try to maintain my friendships. I was worn out and feeling low.

My mom pops up and comments, "Oh gee, did something happen to your farm on Farmville????"

Being already upset, it just REALLY hit me the wrong way, as if she were implying that my whole life revolves around a game and therefore nothing else could possibly upset me.

Our relationship is really strained lately anyway, so I don't know how to approach her w/o setting off a firestorm. What she said hurt my feelings, and it's not the first time that she's said something flip or deliberately hurtful.

geminilove

Asked by geminilove at 6:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• No offense honest, but without knowing what lyrics you posted I would have to say yo are being a little touchy. You can't expect everyone on Facebook to read your mind and be in your head. She probably thought she was being funny. How about instead of posting lyrics either don[t post at all(talk to someone instead) or post what you are really feeling without using song lyrics.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Stay away from neg. people but if you have to talk to her kill her with kindness!
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'd be inclined to put something sarcastic in reply but maybe respond to her off Facebook if things are so delicate between you.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• She is probably just trying to connect with you - moms need lovin too.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The best way to handle that remark would be to simply ignore it. Act like you didn't even see it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Musicmom, the lyrics I posted where: "Here we go, round and round, and all I get is hell bent and bound, never far from right where we are."

Also, she posted *after* everyone else had asked me how I was doing and I responded. So it was pretty clear from the string of messages that I was upset about something.
    geminilove

Comment by geminilove (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Im sorry but thats kind of funny only because my mom and I play farmville she is way more into it then I am. She actually called me one morning to tell me my crops were ready. When she goes on vacation she has me check her farm. rofl Okay back to the main point, just ignore her.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I still really think she was just trying to be funny.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My mother says stuff that gets on my nerves from time to time too. I used to always say something sarcastic back to her but over the years, for the most part I've chosen to ignore her sarcastic comments to me. I simply ignore what she has said, switch the subject or continue talkinmg as if she just didnt say it at all. As for the facebook comment, I would just not even react to it whatsoever.Even if you do want to type on there "BITE ME,MOM" lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies- either just ignore it, or confront her about it in real life. Facebook drama ends up being SO blown out of proportion. I just lost a friend to something that happened on facebook between her and another friend of mine. She's your mom. Odds are, she cares...even if she doesn't show it very well.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010