• In the Spotlight:

what age do you put cereal in a bottle?

everyone keeps telling me to add cereal to my 7 wk olds milk at bedtime.....he only wakes up once to eat and im not sure if its ok....(and how much if you fo it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never put cereal in a bottle... youre suppose to feed it with a spoon.

your child is only 7 weeks old? no need for cereal yet. formula or breastmilk is more than enough ;)

i started to feed cereal when my daughter was between 3 and 4months old.. and then only 4-5 teaspoons once a day.. I added more every day... i started with mashed (really mushy, almost liquid carrot porridge ect.)..
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• the age is never. you start feeding them cereal with a spoon the earliest age is 4 months, but the doctors recommend 4-6 months, the later the better. that way your kids don't develop food allergies and don't become obese when they're older.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• "the later the better. that way your kids don't develop food allergies and don't become obese when they're older. "

not trying to be mean or anything, but never heard more bullshit in one sentence than in yours.

The earlier you start feeding your child with the spoon the better, or do you want to bottle feed your child until its 2yrs old? and about the allergies.. if you keep feeding your child the same stuff every day, yes, then it could cause allergies... maybe. i dont know anybody who had this problem though.

Just feed your child different cereals every day/week... my daughter got different food every day. I never fed her the same kind of cereals/porridge for longer than 2-3 days. She has never been sick before, no problems with teething, no allergies, absolutely nothing. 100% healthy baby.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• don't put it in the bottle. It's recommended that you wait til six months to spoon feed it to them
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 4:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Never never, because they can choke. You shouldn't even think solids till they are 6 months.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• cereal in a bottle is never a good idea. Babies can aspirate (inhale the food into their lungs) This is not safe. Plenty of breastmilk is the best. They eat often because they are so little and their tiny stomachs are growing. Give your baby time to grow. Solid foods don't usually start until 5 or 6 months. Be careful
    mamagoose006

Answer by mamagoose006 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Never in the bottle. I started spoon feeding my son at 4 months because the pedi said it was ok. 7 weeks is way to early to feed your baby cereal unless it's ok'd by the doctor.
    HuntersMom4908

Answer by HuntersMom4908 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my doctor said i could around 4 months. only a little to thicken it up and fill her belly.
    GwenythsMom

Answer by GwenythsMom at 5:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle.

Also, Scientists at the Cleveland Clinic studied the effect of cereal on sleep and found that adding the cereal did nothing at all to speed up the age of sleeping through the night. That first uninterrupted 6-hour stretch of sleep came no earlier in those who took cereal early.2

More info here:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 5:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Wow, I must be the worst mother of the year ...

I put cereal in my son's bottle since he was close to your LO's age. We used it to thicken his formula so he could go longer between meals. He was eating so much formula, and was hungry so often, that he was spitting up a lot (he did not have acid reflux). So we put some cereal in his bottle so it would stay in his tummy longer. At two months, he was eating a 6 oz. bottle and we would put in 2 tbsp. of cereal.

As for the choking comments, we never had a problem. We bought a special nipple for thicker formula's so it wouldn't be a problem. Plus the formula, after adding the cereal, wasn't super thick.

He is now 4.5 months and still gets cereal in his bottle twice a day. The other two times we feed him, it's by spoon along with baby food (*gasp* We gave that to him starting at 3 months. I guess that's another strike against me ... )
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2008