PLEASE HELP...IM GONNA GO CRAZY

Please tell me how to deal with a rebellious and obnoxious 2 year old who wont listen to anything i say. I know Im the parent but there comes a time where i have to stop or i get so overwhelmed because I feel like i can rip her head off(not litterally i would never do that. Im not abusive, but my two year old walks all over me. I dont know where I went wrong on disiplining her....on top of all that Im pregnant sooo the hormone thing isnt helping!!!

Please give me some advice.

Kellixclark

Asked by Kellixclark at 6:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She only walks all over you because you allow her to. She doesn't listen because you don't train her to obey you. My children were spanked and we did not have these kinds of problems. You tell her once. She chooses to obey or disobey. Then you spank. You tell her you love her too much to tolerate disrespect and disobedience and then you go on about your business. You spank before you become angry or frustrated and with the understanding she has to be taught the important lessons of life. The earlier she learns them, the more peaceful will be your home and the more you will enjoy your children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• nap her..or at least have a time that she rests and you get to be "without" the blessed child, You might have to go "princess" with her since she knows your frustrated self and that isn't novel anymore. Surprise her with a slow, sweet style and tell her the princess needs to rest so the Queen can rest...no royal fits, no royal talking back...this is how the Queen's court is run~

things change really quick~sorry it is craziville~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Pregnancy makes their tantrums so much worse, I feel for you and I hope you can get her under control -for your sake. I know that if you feel bad spanking you could try a pinch.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• put a outside the room latch on your child's bedroom door. make sure the room is FULLY SAFE. toss child in and LATCH TEH DOOR. go smoke a cig
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh bless you, it can be so stressful at times but I am sure you are doing an awesome job and sounds like all you need is some tricks up your sleeve for disciplining that you can easily stick to..children need and like consistency and routine. Have you watched any of the super nanny series? the book and dvd gives good ideas, highly recommend. I worked as a nanny for years and am now parenting twin boys aged 19 months and The Super Nanny techniques are great. I also like how Dr Phil says the first thing is to learn to pick your fights..as in dont sweat the small stuff but work out your core values and enforce them with rewards (verbal, praise, hugs, claps, smiles) and with a specific repetitive consequence for when it is dis-obeyed..eg I have a 'no biting' policy and 'gentle hands', this is really important and it has a consequence when not obeyed, which is 'time out'.
    Tori P.

Answer by Tori P. at 7:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• ps, little kids that age also tend to play up when they want attention. They dont care if its negative attention or positive as long as they get it. So I find that spending some time each day simply playing with the boys and not doing housework makes them feel much happier and less likely to tantrum to get attention.
    With my boys when they play up I say "uh-uh!' very firmly and look them sternly in the eye and say that their behaviour is unacceptable because....(brief reason why) and I say "if you continue there will be a consequence!" I say this very firmly too. I then say you have 5 seconds to stop before you have the consequence which will be ( eg - remove them from the room, take the toy they are fighting over away etc) and then if they carry on I carry out the consequence 100% no exeception! They quickly learn when they know they can rely on the consequence and learn to want to avoid it.
    Tori P.

Answer by Tori P. at 7:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with NannyB....tell her what you want, if she doesn't listen, spank, and then explain to her why she got spanked and what you were asking her to do
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Consistany is the most important thing. Pick a consequence for her bad behavior and follow through every time. I also really think being positive with a child when they behave is very important. I am saying "Good girl" all the time to my 13 month old twins girls when they behave. They eat it up. When they begin to do wrong, I say "no" very firmly. When they stop I smile, hug them, and say "good girl!" They are well behaved and I hope to build off that as they get older.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Btw, I really don't think spanking every day is healthy. Maybe once and awhile for big stuff but not all the time.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am not into spanking unless as a last resort. That is something you have to decide for yourself. What worked for us was time outs with the 1-2-3 Magic technique. The book is a quick read & probably available at your library. It basically is this: If she is acting in a negative way, say "That's one." Firmly, but not shouting. If she continues, "That's two." (and explain that if you have to tell her again, then...) At the third time, the consequence is carried out. And if it's a big enough offense, you can skip to 2 or 3 depending on your values. Our oldest is now 7 and is frequently complimented for good behavior - from strangers. I also turned it around and use it to get him to do a good behavior. If I ask him to do something and he doesn't right away, I start counting "3, 2, 1." With a consequence if I actually get to 1. Most of the time I just have to say, "You don't want me to start counting, do you?" Good luck
    Joy R.

Answer by Joy R. at 10:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010