At what age should kids be allowed to go to the movies w/o parental supervision?

DD is starting to beg to go "alone" which to her means with friends but without a parent. I was thinking age 14-16. She is currently 13. At what age did you allow this?

wahmoftwo

Asked by wahmoftwo at 6:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• 30
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 15-16
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 6:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think 13 is okay to go alone with a group of friends. But I still would be doing the dropping off and picking up at the exit,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• For me it would all depend if I was the one picking her up and dropping her off myself. If I was I think I would go toward the 14 age. I am not sure if that makes any sense but I feel like I would have more control over it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If I were dropping her off and picking her up directly after, it would depend on her maturity level if it was 13 or 14 or older!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 14
    bcraine

Answer by bcraine at 6:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well, at our local theater they'll call the cops if there are unaccompanied minors (under age 17) in the theater, and the kids have to be out of the theater by 11 pm, so no late shows either. I agree with this policy, as it is safer for everyone and more pleasant for the adults to not have to deal with hoards of children roaming the theater.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I really think it depends ON the child. I would have no issue with my 9 year old being at the movies w/friends without direct adult supervision. Of course I parent would drop him off inside and would be back waiting for the children as the movie let out. However my 8 year old no way! The 8 year old just doesn't have common 'street smart" sense. Given how the 8 year old is, I would imagine that they would have to wait until they were 15, 16....unless things change!

The local theaters here do NOT have a policy regarding unaccompanied minors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son is almost 14 and I refuse to allow him to do this. I don't think I'll leave him anywhere without me until he's at least 16. Luckily he's fine with it so far. It's just not worth the risk for me.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree that around 14 is ok. To me, it would depend on how many people were going, what the plan was, if s/he had a cell phone, etc. I think that so long as I was informed of what the plan was for the day/evening/night and knew where my kid would be at any given time, and knew that s/he would be in a group the whole time, I might consider it at 12-13 if my child was mature for his/her age.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010