How do you get gum out of hair?

My three year old daughter has very fine shoulder length hair. Last night she got a wad of gum in it. Any suggestions on how to get it out, or should I just cut it?

mykidsrock77

Asked by mykidsrock77 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• I've heard peanut butter works. just rub it in to her hair and it works itself out
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 4:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Ice it get it really cold and brittle and you should be able to break it out. When I was a child I got gum it my hair alot they always used mayo or peanut butter in mine.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 4:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Hey mama - sorry about the gum! I would try nail polish remover in a well ventilated area!
    GL!
    Tara
    ashwinsmommy

Answer by ashwinsmommy at 4:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Pure acetone nail polish remover. Works wonders, but you will want to wash her hair right away, because it can bleach it if it's on for a while. :) Good luck!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 4:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• sissors
    Anonymous

• Butter
    LuvvMaRoyBabies

Answer by LuvvMaRoyBabies at 4:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• COOKING OIL.. plain 'ol cooking oil! Peanut butter works too, but takes a bit longer.
    Layna1980

Answer by Layna1980 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• This is the method that will work. Put peanut butter in her hair and rub it in really good, the gum should come right out!
    ConnersMom1204

Answer by ConnersMom1204 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• peanut butter or olive oil.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Canolia Oil (or olive oil) IT WORKS GREAT! Just be patient and rub it out. I have had to do it, so I know it works!
    MommyJen

Answer by MommyJen at 6:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2008