transition from crib to toddler bed

what age did you move your LO from a crib to a toddler bed?

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't go to a big bed until he was 2.5 years. He never tried to climb out of the crib and was just fine sleeping in it, so we left him there, until one night he just refused to sleep in the crib, so from that point on, he slept in the big bed. I'm glad we waited until he was ready, I think that had a lot to do with how well he took to it; we never had any problems with him getting out of bed after we left the room.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• she was about 16 months if I remember correctly. Started just with naps to get her used to it, that took about a week or so, then started at night.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it was about 18 months of age. I heard a loud thump one morning and found my son had learned to stack his toys on the crib bumper and could climb over the rails. He was not hurt BTW. After that, I left both sides of the crib down which still had about 6 inches of railing so he could not roll out at night. After about 3 months of this I purchased a toddler bed that had rails only half way down on both sides. When he was 3 years old he went into a standard twin bed. Keeping him in the bed was another trick, I purchased a little radio and a flashlight and he could stay in bed with those toys. I also made up some anti-monster spray which was nothing more then a spray bottle filled with water and some perfume in it so when he thought he had a monster under the bed he would spray that anti-monster spray and he believed it would get rid of the monster. I still have the bottle.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• DS was 16months... we had just moved and I didnt feel like putting up a second crib he never used a toddler bed... waste of money IMO he went straight to a twin bed... we pulled out the trundle but he never fell off... We transitioned DD at 15months after we got home from our vacation to Chicago and put her in the trundle of her brothers bed until we find a bed for her that we like... they both have done GREAT
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 21 months...lol and we only switched now because she was trying to climb out of her crib!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son is 22 months and is just now starting to climb out of his crib, so we are in the process of transition
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• mine is yet to try to climb out so i just dont know when i should do it since she will be 2 in nov. actually when its time for a nap she runs to her crib and trys to climb in but really hasnt tried to climb out. and when i do it will will be a straight shot cuz her crib turns into a toddler bed.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• all 3 of mine went from crib to a bed at 1 yrs old
    coryswife8183

Answer by coryswife8183 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2010