Do you think it's acceptable for parents to cop an attitude with their children?

Was at play group today and one of the moms was copping an attitude with her kid. I understand yelling and repremanding your child if they've done something wrong, but this kid wasn't doing anything wrong as far as I could tell and the mom was giving her a damn attitude! I mean that is where some kids pick up that kind of behavior is from their parents and to me it's disrepsectful and immature. Be the adult, not the pouty teenager with your kids.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 6:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Can you be more specific as to what her "attitude" was?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I couldn't agree more! Kids learn have to behave from their parents.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Wether its acceptable or not...I don't know.
    But I'll tell you what...I have most certainly copped an attitude with my 10 year old.
    That boy has a mouth and a half...and NO...he did not develope this from me,lol.
    He's just going through a stage and learning about himself and driving me insane at the same time. I think it would be difficult for even the most calm person not to cop an attitude with this kid every now and then.
    Now as for what you are describing above...yeah, sounds like the parent was in the wrong. But...you know..you can never tell what kind of day that person was having..not that its an excuse to be snotty to your kid..but hey it happens, were all human.Just hope that she isnt like that all the time with her child(ren). What can ya do?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Okay the mom was talking to her kid like she was a dog. Telling her "SIT!" and "Stay!" and shit like that. And if she cried about getting hurt she'd say, "Don't come crying to me, it was your fault." Things like that. It's kinda hard to explain when I can't verbally describe it.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Kim,

I understand that. I understand giving your kids attitude if they give you one, but parents who just cop one for no reason is a whole different story. I just think it's an immature way to deal with your kids.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Couln't agree more!! I hate when parents do that and of course kids are going to have the same attitude!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 6:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• That mom was either having a REALLY bad day- or is in need of parenting classes. You have to pass a test to drive a car, but any idiot can become a parent! I feel sorry for that kid.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Maybe we shouldn't pass judgement since we weren't there. What one person considers attitude may not be someone elses. And we don't know the relationship with the child and mom, nor do we know what challenges mom may have with her in private.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree. There has to be a reason behind it. My goddaughters mother is like that. My goddaughter was sleeping one day when her came to get her. her mother dropped her off her after school & said she was running just to the store... 7pm rolls around & her she finally comes, & walks through my door & starts bitching at her daughter for no reason. ALWAYS Does. & wonders why her 13 year old wanted to come live with me...... Ha. Its really sad when parents do that to their children...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My sister is the same way. My niece is 4 and I can't stand the fact that she gives me attitude but that is what she has learned from her mother. I find ti very hard not to do it back. There are times that my SO catches me giving her attitude and points it so that I can stop b/c she doesn't deserve it. I think it is wrong to give anyone attitude especially your children.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010