How many of you actually take the time to read the ingredients and nutrition chart on the labeled food you buy?

And how many know or at least look at the food pyramid at all? I noticed a lot of questions and answers with mom totally unaware of what some foods are made of and their nutritional value. Especially if your child is allergic or intolerant of something, like my son CANNOT have Red Dye #40. Although I know that sometimes there are exceptions and treats and being allowed for extenuating circumstances...I see moms that are unaware and give it to there kid anyway. Like the post about the person giving there kid a TV dinner for every meal.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If it is something that I have not bought before or for a while then yes I do. But if it is something that I buy all the time, then I don't. I can spend 3 plus hours getting groceries sometimes.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Generally I don't read the labels. But most of the food we eat is homemade from scratch, so I don;t worry too much about the things that aren't. I will say I would be MUCH more careful if any of my kids had allergies.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I've actually been reading labels since my daughter was born since I cannot feed her anything containing whey or whey proteins. She is very allergic to those ingredients.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't know any moms with kids who have food sensativities or allergies that DON'T check labels. Certainly haven't seen any here in the allgery/sensativity groups. All seem to be on top if it. I personally am envious of mom's who don't HAVE TO check labels. Must be nice. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was raised to read labels. Mom was a health nut lol. If something had a certain amount of fat or excessive calories we didn't buy it or it was a treat. A lot of the "kids" snacks are loaded with empty calories from sugar and enriched flour, hydrogentated soybean oil, etc. There are frozen dinners that are healthy, but you have to read lables. Some foods have the fat intake for the whole day just in one sitting and there are two servings in a sitting, usually meaning they are both eaten at once.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well, like this morning when I said that Juicy Juice was apple juice with other flavors mixed in no matter what "flavor" you buy...One mom said that that wasn't true and that she and her daughter are allergic to apple juice and they drink Juicy Juice. Well, I had to post links and ingredients. She obviously didn't know. And I was voted down 2 times for it, so, someone hasn't read a label even though they are allergic to it.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• approx 95% of what we purchase are whole foods. I cook from scratch every meal. What little I do by that is not, has to pass my quality test- which means knowing exactly what is in it to avoid the crap... yeah. I read. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Guess she was not allergic to apple juice, lol. Oh by the way so far none of my kids have allergies to anything. **knock on wood**
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well, I try to buy foods that don't require labels, but, I do read them when I buy something. Not just for the dye, but, healthwise too. We do eat some pure junk occasionally, but, try not to make it a habit.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I do read labels and I try to avoid as much pre-packaged stuff as possible, or at least limit it somewhat. Sometimes, though, when I'm have to work late, those ready to cook meals at Fresh & Easy are just too easy....
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010