I'm breastfeeding. What kind of food restrictions are there??

My daughter is 8 days old. I'm wondering if there are any foods I should avoid while I am breastfeeding. (Like... can I eat sushi??)

Petite.Amante

Asked by Petite.Amante at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ZERO restrictions. Eat and drink AS YOU LIKE.

The only time to change that is IF baby reacts.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• CONGRATS on your little girl!!

My doctor told me to take it easy with caffeine and obviously alcohol while breastfeeding. He also said to pay attention and if my little ones get really fussy after or during feeding to avoid what I ate that day in the future. I never had that problem but I guess it can be an issue with things like garlic and spicy food!
    Chloeek86

Answer by Chloeek86 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Watch your Caffine intake..Eat more healthy..
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 6:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No food restrictions, other than watching the amount of mercury you take in and making sure you trust the source of the sushi.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Caffeine, alcohol, and watch your mercury levels for both your health.

Other than that, watch your baby. Some get fussy when you eat certain foods. Mine did NOT like when I ate onions, garlic, broccoli or cauliflower.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Aww- what a little sweetie- Please double check w/ your Dr. on the sushi or even any shell fish. Also, the alcohol & caffeine should be kept to a minimum. Try to keep a food journal for a few days, in case you notice a change in her fussiness and or bm's, it'll be easier to pinpoint what may've caused it. (ie: Sometimes spicy stuff can cause some upset.) Enjoy this wonderful bonding time w/ your little angel!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Congrats! Limit caffeine and alcohol, but otherwise you can pretty much eat what you want unless the baby reacts (with my son, I couldn't eat broccoli or raw onions unless I wanted him to scream all night).
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 7:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Like everyone else said, limit caffeine and alcohol (you can drink while you're breastfeeding, just not heavily, and it's actually recommended by a lot of lactation consultants and the like to drink a glass of wine or a beer an hour or so before breastfeeding because it helps you relax, which allows your milk to let down easier). Other than that, just pay attention if your baby reacts and try to figure out what caused it. Congrats on the little one! :)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• most things are just in moderation.... my LC also said no honey.... but i don't know why

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No restrictions! Honey and sushi are fine for mom to eat (you just can't give honey to a baby under one year, but mom can eat it!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010