unemployment?

does anyone know how it works? like how long it takes to get it and how much we would be getting? my DH is getting out of the military and he is in the process of getting another job but for about 5 months we are in limbo..... he was making $4000 a month, $2000 a paycheck, and we are just about to receive his last check.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• apply either you will get it or you wont only way to know is to apply. unemployment will not cover you for long either it is a low income not like what you are getting now. few hundred here and there .
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Unemployment is based on how many quarters of work credits he has earned. I do not know what state you are in, and each state differs. I do not think he will be making anything close to the amount of what he was earning. The best place I have found for Veterans (I am one) to get a job is through the website www.usajobs.gov. It lists all jobs civilian jobs that your husband can look up a job based on his military MOS, or his old job. There are a lot more programs out there for current Veterans that were not there when I got out. If you have a Veterans Affairs Office near you, have him check there. Thank you both for serving our Nation. What most people do not realize is how much we give up on everyday items. Also check with AMVETS, they are the group that will help him transition to civilian life easier.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Unemployment is VERY spotting right now. It will be NO WHERE near what you are even receiving right now.. About 1/4 of that probably. The military will give your husband 2 months paid terminal leave to move back to wherever you would like and find a job.. Maybe he should find something to tie him over until he can get whatever job he planned on getting. NEVER depend on unemployment!!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The max in Cali is $450 a week. It was $425 but Obama kicked in an add'l $25 a week. I believe it lasts 18 months normally but with the extension that Congress (passed or is about to pass) it adds an add'l 6 months. I haven't heard if it was passed. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Good luck !
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am in IL and the max is $371 per week. You get more with each depedent child too. I am on UE unfortunately, and get 892 after taxes every two weeks. It's half of what I used to bring home every two weeks ( I am a laid off teacher) :( To apply, here anyway, was very easy for it was all done online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010