What do you think I missing in my diet for...

the skin around my ringer nails to peel and my nails to break...? It is driving me crazy and only a new development. My skin around my finger nails is peeling and coming off, also my finger nails are splitting. I am getting mad cause it is driving me crazy insane! Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what dietary supplement I am missing? I use lotion and that is not helping.

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• I would say i'm a pretty healthy person but i've always had thin flakey nails and my hands once a year peel. I dont think it's anything horrible. I just keep my fingernails short short short if not cut off and as for the peeling I just scrub mine and eventually it stops then happens the next year
    if it lasts longer than a week or so I would see a doctor.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 7:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my first thought is try some anti fungal cream on it....see if it changes...like for foot fungus...my son got it under his arm once and that cream was the only one that would change it....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• are you sure its not a health thing? id go to my dr if i were worried. it might not be a diet thing it might be like...low iron or thyroid issues..those cause your nails to be brittle n break
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Obviously today I can not make sense of what I am typing as well sorry how confusing the question seems. What if anything do you think is missing from my diet that might cause my skin around my finger nails peel and my nails to break? What do you recommend that I take or use to make it better? I have tried lotion several times a day but that is not helping me any. I am going crazy!
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would say that you need essential fatty acids. Udo's Choice Oil, fish oil, flax seed. Something along those lines. You don't say how old you are. Are you taking a calcium tablet, do you get 20 minutes of sunlight a day--could be your low on Vitamin D. Iron is another thing. The deal is nothing has to change in your diet you are ever changing as we age we absorb nutrients differently or not at all. So you may need to add a supplement. I would also say you may be a little dehydrated.
    Is it possible your washing your hands more or using an anti-bacterial gel? Those things could be drying out your finders and nail bed.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hi There~

The one suggestion I would have is to consider intaking more protein.....more like a vegetable protein not animal protein. Protein shakes are a wonderful form and the great thing about them is they fill you up and help to stabalize your blood sugar so you aren't craving "sweets"!

Protein is known for strengthening the nail beds and really helps to prevent nails from splitting.

Hope this helps~
    Amber

PS Please keep in mind not all protein powders are the best and some are filled with junk like artificial sweetners etc.

Healthymomma

Answer by Healthymomma at 9:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Um I am 24 years old.....
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010