Anyone know of a good financial planning /budgeting site besides mint.com ?

I need help managing money. My S.O is not helpful or supportive at all. I have asked him to help me by teaching me how to budget and he says it's stupid I shouldn't need help as an adult. So could anyone give me some pointers?
* IF you are just going to tell me S.O is right then don't waste the space or time of posting a nasty comment* thank you to those of you trying to be helpful in a nice way

1nglmom3

Asked by 1nglmom3 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• I like Dave Ramsey. There is a group on Cafemom that has Dave's way of budgeting money. I can help you make up a budget if you need help with that. Please be careful with those TV ads saying that they can restore your credit and pay your bills for you. There is also a non profit group called Consumer Credit Counseling. They are a very reputable firm nationwide and you make one payment to them and they pay all the debts on your plan. They only take a small fee to cover office expenses. The only downside to that is when you do get everything paid off, you will be 'treated' like a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. The best way to get a handle on your money and where it goes is to keep a log of every penny you spend. Then look back over it and it will really surprise you. Cut up your credit cards, a debit account is fine since it is tied to the money you have in the bank. Let me know if you need more help.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• this is what i used when i made a budget. lol! (not this site, but the concept.) it worked great. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/03/10/budgeting-the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-with-your-money/
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• "Budgeting" covers a lot of gray area. Do you need help setting up a budget? Staying within a budget? Managing your daily finances? www.daveramsey.com has forms you can download to help you plan out a budget. The Dave Ramsey group on here has plenty of great advice and support. You can purchase or download money management software and you don't have to put your info on a website.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey as well. You can borrow his book Total Money Makeover from your local library and there are budgeting forms in the back of the book that you can make copies of as well.

We do a prioritized zero based budget. Start with necessities like rent, utilities, fuel, insurance, and food. We spend every dollar on paper before we actually get any money. Then when my husband gets paid we work our way down that list as far as we can. Every single penny we bring in has purpose. So not a single penny gets wasted.

We also use the envelope system where you put cash in an envelope for things that you would pay for in person- so clothes, entertainment, car maintenance, groceries etc. Put it in envelopes with labels on it so the grocery money gets spend on groceries, Car money gets spent on the car.

Statistically speaking you spend 12 to 18% more when you use a debit card. We cut our expenses by 21%. Good Luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Dave Ramsey is a fantastic help when it comes to learning to be in charge of your money. My family and I have implemented his teaching and it is has really helped us. Another helpful website is "Flylady" she has a section called "Face your Finances" it is a free sight and has many other helpful ideas as well. Check out both of these websites, I found them to be helpful. Your SO is totally confused/living in denial if he thinks adults should never need help; no one person knows everything, learn something new every day. Good luck with your finances.
    Ella6

Answer by Ella6 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Get a planner (dollar store ones work great). Mark every pay day. Write down each monthly bill on the day it is due. This will help you figure out how much of each check you need to pay bills & which bills will come out of which check. You need to estimate gas, groceries & misc.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Don't feel badly. I was never taught how to do those things eiher and learned on the fly. With the Internet there are tons of great resources out there. The public library is also a wonderful place to get info. I love interlibrary loan. My favorite book is the Tightwad Gazette. This is good for money stetching ideas, not so much budgeting per se.

Bankrate.com
    It has rate calculators, comparative CD rates, etc, and some really good articles on a wide variety of financial subjects.

Stretcher.com
    The easily accessed archives cover everything you'll need to learn how to budget, plus other financial categories. They also have a friendly forum where you can post questions. People are very kind on it.

Hope these help.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 1:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010