Writing the alphabet at 3 1/2??

I wanted to see if anyone else has children that are expected to know the upper case and lowercase letters by sight and write them at 3 1/2 (my boys attend a traditional montessori school)

yenko

Asked by yenko at 7:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter new the alphabet at that age, but couldnt write it all perfect, until she was 4.5yrs..but even when she went into kindergarten the teacher said they arent expected to know it..but they were happy she did..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yes my dd does...and it's just stuff we've done here at home...nothing formal
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 7:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It wasn't an expectation, but my son knew the uppercase and lowercase letter by sight at 3. He could write several letters just by manipulating a crayon on his own, but I didn't teach handwriting at that age.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Mine wasn't...I could read and knew them all by sight at 3, but, i didn't have the fine motor skills to write properly until age 5.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My daughter was required to write an essay of 40 to 60 words at the age of 5 to get accepted at Kindergarten. She was supposed to be able to read out loud at a fairly good level.
    At the age of 3 she was required to know all that stuff plus counting to 100 and of course colors.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 7:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thanks, they both know the letters Uppercase and lowercase by sight and we do writing and phonics at home as well. But I was suprised when the school told me they needed more practice writing the letters. They write their names and most letters pretty well.
    yenko

Comment by yenko (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Expected to? No, she wasn't expected to. But she could.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My 2 yo knows them all by sight and is trying to ready but she isn't quite ready to write them yet. I think that is a little young to be EXPECTED to be able to write all letters of the alphabet. The don't have the coordination and dexterity for that until they are closer to 4 1/2
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My eldest knew both upper and lower case by 3. My 3 year old is just learning to sing the alphabet, but not really knowing them or recognizing them at this stage. And he's certainly not writing yet lol (he just turned 3)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my daughter knows them and can write a couple but mainly uppercase.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010