Why?

My four year old (will be five in October) has been complaining of her feet hurting off and on for at least a few months. I thought it to be just growing pains at first, but today she asked when the weekend is and when she doesn't have to go to school anymore. I was concerned because she always talks about how much she loves school. She said she didn't want to go to school because they have "Dance Time" and she didn't want to do the dance time because her feet hurt.
I askd her if her feet hurt just sometimes and she said it is all the time. I also asked her if it is the bottom of the foot or what and she said it is the whole foot on both feet. She then went on to say her feet hurt when she stands or sits and no matter what shoes she is wearing or if she is barefoot. I have mentioned it to her pedi before but they also said it is probably growing pains.
I am concerned but don't know what it could be?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 7:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd take her back to the doctors and insist on getting her checked out. I had to do this for my daughter a few times for other reasons at the doctors and would not give up or leave and I was very persistent they ended up doing tests and labs and would find the cause, and it would be completely separate from what they would tell me at first.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 7:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son complained of similar pains. I just could not swallow the growing pain theory. I brought him to another doctor who finally got us a diagnosis of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. It was difficult at times but he has learned to live with his limitations. I would get a second opinion. My son is now a doctor, so do not think for a minute that your child will not be able to do whatever she wants to even with JRA. Keep us posted.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• could she be flat footed?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would tell pedi that you would just feel better if she were checked to make sure it was not something else.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• To get them started in the right direction tell your doc that you want to rule out JRA. That starts with a little bit of blood work. When that comes back then you can move forward and be able to see a specialist or know that it isn't something really serious. I have a friend whose child complained a lot about his feet hurting and he really hasn't grown much, so he is seeing and endocrinologist and he actually has a growth hormone deficiency. So be persistent with your doc.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would take her to the doctor to rule out anything serious.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Get a doctors opinoion just in case
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was going to say the same thing Dark said. Dose she seem to have flat feet? Are her shoes to small? I mean when she has her socks in them too. (I am not saying you don't buy her fitting shoes) I bought my son some shoes and was not thinking right for some reason and he was wearing his sandals...... well lets just say the shoes fit till I got him home and put socks on him. I am just throwing that out there.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• call doc
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think so. She seems to have a defined arch. My youngest daughter is more flat footed and doesn't complain. :(
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010