Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Credit question

I plan on looking into this more later, but wondering if anyone knows the answer as I need to take care of a few other things first...

can an organization put something on your credit without notifying you that you (supposedly) owe a debit? my daughter's last apartment broke her lease (long story - it was totally illegal) and she just discovered that they reported a debt to the credit bureau - she is not responsible for the lease because they broke it, but obviously she needs to take them to court to prove it. is there something that can be done while waiting for a court case? it is important to handle quickly.

Answer Question

Asked by figaro8895 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 26 (27,251 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • She can dispute what has been put on her credit report. The company has either 60 or 90 days to prove what they put on her credit report is true or it will be removed. She will need to write a letter to all three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion).

    Here is a really good link for you to read :

    Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • i know that she can do that but i'm wondering how difficult this will be without her taking them to court... plus this is affecting her ability to get housing. she moved to their sister complex, but she was thinking of moving for several reasons (including a need to be with transportation and the crime in the area). she completed an app at another apartment but her current apartment would not provide the paperwork stating she paid rent on time unless she completed a notice to vacate... so they have forced her to break her lease, which although she was going to do that anyway, now she may not get approved at the new place due to the item on her credit, leaving her without a place to live... although i think she could have prevented this in several ways, this is where things are now...

    Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • You don't have to go to court to dispute an item on your credit report. You just send the credit bureaus letters saying that the following item(s) are in accurate and therefor they have to remove the item(s) from her credit report based on the credit reporting act. They have to take it off her credit report until the company proves that the debt is accurate. If that doesn't work she is also allowed to give an explanation to why the debt wasn't paid or in this case, why that debt is inaccurate.

    I'm sure she'll be able to find housing if she looks for apartment owners that own one or two small apartments instead of corporate America.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • She just needs to dispute it with the credit bureaus. The credit bureaus then investigate it. They have 30 days to resolve the issue.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • almost every apartment building here is a part of the texas apartment association. and even the smaller owners here do credit checks. in addition to that there is no public transportation here... she was trying to move into a place with a friend who helps her with rides. it's a mess... thanks for the responses. i have advised her of a few actions to take... she is stubborn...

    Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • On her credit report the listing should have a phone number. She can call them and ask what they want to resolve this issue so they can remove it from her credit report. DO NOT CALL THE APPARTMENT COMPLEX call the number on the credit listing. It might be that they say she owes a small amount of money that can be paid off.

    You can also do what is stated above and file that it is incorrect information. If the company does not respond, then it has to be removed.

    Answer by Niki_sd at 2:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.