Behavior problems with my three year old son.

I'm having big time control issues with my three year old son. Any advice on what worked for you. I'm currently putting him in time out but at his worse, he could be in time out for most of the day. Something is going on and I'm not sure what I can do. Resources or shared experience would be helpful.

lisa0923

Asked by lisa0923 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Everyone says "terrible twos" but I think its terrible threes! I had the hardest time with my daughter, only that one year! When she turned 4, she was back to being an angel again. Its hard to know what to do because they still don't understand that much. I would keep doing the time out thing, and take things away from him (favorite toy, favorite blankie, etc.) learn to ignore the behavior since he is probably doing most of those things seeking attention.
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 4:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It sounds like the reason time out may not be working is that he is in too much and doesn't take it seriously. I would keep him occupied with fun activities as much as possible. If he is having fun and enjoying himself - no problem. You both win. If he misbehaves and had to be taken away from an activity he enjoys he may learn sooner. Also, don't give up too soon. It might take a little while for him to realize this is the way it is going to be. Stay consistent - do not keep altering discipline techniques or he will be confused or possibly learn to manipulate the discipline.

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• meriahmn is totally rite my son is 4 now but at 3 he was hes worse.. and its all for attention time out its good at this age ..and taking the favorite thing away 2 they need to learn consequences , there is always a consequence for there actions
    yuridia

Answer by yuridia at 7:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• there are terrible 2's and horrible 3's..hehe..but as they grow 4 has become a little easier......i myself use the "time-out" method.and also privileges get taken away as a consiquence also.such as tv time,or a fav toy or video game ect.Also at this age being consistant with the way you deal with them.
    millermama-of1

Answer by millermama-of1 at 3:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• First of al, putting your three-year-old in timeout most of the day is not helpful. Your son is obviously going to become frustrated, and he will thus become restless. He will then not take it very seriously. In this case, your best bet is to check out this website called Nogginpower2. I checked out Nogginpower2 myself, and I quickly realized that they have an excellent amount of readings, such as Discipline, Getting Great Grades, Making New Friends, Getting a Good Night Sleep and Improving Social Skills. By reading these packets on Nogginpower2, they should guide you in disciplining your son more effectively. I hope this helps you with your current situation. Thank you and best of luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I am having the same problem except my 3 yr. old and 4 yr. old are like that. It' s like they tag-team or something. When you find out please let me know.
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2008