Where to begin getting healthy?

Had open heart surgery a year ago, doing better but just went to Dr. and I need to lose weight and exercise more. Still having some issues so exercise causes difficulty in breathing. Use the Nustep at the gym and can do it for 20 minutes but need to do it longer. Have bad knees so walking is hard so plan to walk in the pool. Food is my addiction so am trying to find what I am trying to feed with the food. There are so many of you wondering if you can give me some encouragement. I am so overwhelmed but want to live and food is killing me. This is hard for me to write this but I need to change today. Thanks

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would first start with portion control. Start by cutting back the amount of what you eat and try substituting healthier choices for the bad ones. Btw changing to healthy choice cookies over regular cookies is not what I meant. I meant to start with using fruit instead. I didn't mean for that to be harsh, and I wish you all the luck with this. I know how to choose healthier foods I just don't like to eat them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's so hard when you're hurting. Maybe I'll see you in group; the ladies there might have a lot of good insight and suggestions.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'm so sorry you are facing this- but you are not alone. I am a twizzler addict! :) (Not trying to make lite of your situation, just wanted a smile!) Start by using a smaller plate- not a regular size dinner plate. Drink alot of water- including a glass before each meal. It'll fill you up. No eating after say 6pm. Dont completely deny yourself- save special treats for the weekends. If you're a picky eater like me, eating healthy is not always easy. Can you talk to a nutritionist to get some ideas? Just don't give up- you'll get there! Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Swimming!!!! My mom does water areobics and it doesn't stress the joints or anything. I don't know about the breathing part, but I would say start small with 5 min of continuous exersize in the pool/spa and work your way up, maybe adding a min everytime?
    Also just doing some weights while sitting, or even a little bit of stretching every morning.
    Good luck, and keep up the good work for your health! xoxox
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 7:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hugs! I have a family history of heart problems and I have had at least one heart attack and have stable angina. I also am limited in my movements because of an injury during my military career. I love to eat, too. I am a Foodie. I have a YMCA membership and I use the aerobic pool exercise class because it is easier on my joints. Swimming is a good low impact exercise, I also use rubber strips that my doctor gave me. They are about 6 inches wide and I tie the ends together and I put one on my foot and to arm curls and then repeat on the other side. I cannot do a treadmill, but I have found that I like a recumbent (sitting) bike. Let me know if you need some motivation. I have found that when I overeat, it is because I am depressed and it is just a vicious cycle. Feel good about yourself and you can put that can of chocolate cake frosting down. Hugs.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• maybe you could start change a few things at a time instead of everything at once as far as food goes. Eat brown rice instead of white rice, whole wheat pasta instead of normal pasta. Add a vegetable to every meal. Keep healthy snacks handy. I've found that I don't mind healthy food, but it's the other stuff that's easier to eat. Cut back on eating out, because even at the "healthy" places the sodium is ridiculously high. Try just changing little things like that. I've noticed that my body likes it more.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah swimming is wonderful use the deep water aerobics no stress on any joints. You wear a lap belt and it keeps you on the top of the water.
    Have you checked with the American Heart association? I am sure they have some really good guide lines to go by.
    First things first you have to make a choice to change. You have to stop making excuses. Food addiction? Go to a therapist. Really if you feel food has some unnatural hold on you then get thee to a good support system.
    Other wise start today. Make your first decision to eat clean. No red meat is good, no pork is good. Fish is good and chicken is okay. Make sure your vegetables are fresh and steamed. No sauces or butter.
    The very best clean healthy eating cook book I have ever read is by "body for life" it had fantastic recipes in it. The meat loaf is to die for. It has no ground beef. If you need help finding it let me know. Good luck and one day at a time!
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010