Insurance?

I'm 19yrs old and pregnant.I haven't gotten my own insurance because until just recently I was still on my mothers insurance.I was told to go to the DHS office and apply for Tenncare but that it might take awhile to actually see a doctor.I'm 8weeks and worried that I won't be getting the prenatal care that I need soon enough?Is there anything I can do?

Sarah0306

Asked by Sarah0306 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you can apply for medicade and there are some drs offices that will see you even while the application is pending
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Will it cost me if the application is pending?
    Sarah0306

Answer by Sarah0306 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• some yes mine is a 100 dollar copay but some are still free i found a free one back home with my son but now im in vegas and well lol they all just suck
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I am 20 years old and 5 months along in my first pregnancy. I know what you're going through. I had to withdraw from my parent's insurance once I was no longer a full-time student. I would suggest that you apply for Medicaid. I was just approved and was able to start prenatal care while the application was still pending. I did not have to pay anything while the app was pending, and all of my medical bills are covered. Good luck!
    angelita_0209

Answer by angelita_0209 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• You need to go to your local health clinic, just applying for medicaid can take a LONG time! But if you go to your state-backed health clinic, you are automatically qualified, usually that day, you will see a doc. Once you get your medicaid card, you can transfer to the doctor of your choice. PM me if you need more help. I am passionate about good, early prenatal care for those who can't afford it, and I have alot of resources. You deserve to be treated early!
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 5:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you apply for medicaid they will expetide your case, you will be seen by the medicaid (or DHS case worker) within a week. Here in Texas I know every single woman automatically quilifies for Medicaid. No matter the income or where you live, who you live with or what. Defenitely go check with your DHS office, since you are preg. they'll speed up the process and give you emergency medicaid to get the pg test from a doc and start everything.
    norma_lee

Answer by norma_lee at 6:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you have to wait you should still be taking prenatal vitamins and you can buy them at the grocery store. Eat right and take care of your body.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Wow! That's awesome about TX, norma lee! I didn't know that. Here it can take a LONG time! I had insurance, but one of my friends got pregnant, she was single and living in poverty, it took 5 months for her medicaid card to come through!!!!! She didn't go to an appointment until she was 23 weeks! We found out later that she could have gone to the health clinic and been qualified right then and there
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 6:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Ditto the 'check with DHS and apply for Medicaid' recommendation!
    Also, check in with WIC, but DO NOT accept their formula..breast is best!

Join us in LLLCAFEMOM if you would like breastfeeding information and support. We are a registered La Leche League group, run by accredited LLL Leaders..like moi!

Congratulations!!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 6:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• oops, sorry..forgot the link!
    www.cafemom.com/group/lllcafemom
    catholicmamamia