Unemployment - childbirth and maternity leave

i am currently receiving unemployment and due in november. as i don't expect anyone to hire me any time soon, i will need to file an extension (my unemployment ends right around the time the baby is born). will read the fine print later, but does anyone know... if i am unable to work because i am in the hospital giving birth do they pay or not? also, do they allow payments to continue for any period of maternity leave under unemployment? thanks. (texas)

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you are not able to work or even look for work technically you dont get benefits
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• OOH good Q. Well I had my baby in May, and was on Mat leave for the rest of the school year. Unfortunately my district laid me off, so as of the last day of my contract...June 7, I was able to file. No one ever questioned my mat leave or date of my child's birth. I was granted UE right away. I don't know how it will work for you, for you'll have to change your dependency status, and they will probably question when a second child was born. All you can do is ask your UE rep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Reading the following from this website Maternity Leave Unemployment

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• NO-They will NOT pay you for about 6 weeks while you are on maternity leave. I am pregnant and lost my job, I called about that so when I filed I didn't mention it...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would say dont even mention it, its pretty much all done over the phone.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• As far as I know they will continue to sent your unemployment as long as you still can put in for it. But It also depends on what state you live in and what their guidelines are. Dont let them know your pregnant .
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 11:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010