Unions? adult content

My cousin belongs to a major named Union. He has been with the company for a long time, only one more year until he can retire. Right now they are making his life a living hell, accusing him of intentionally damaging a load of goods when it was clearly a case of the load on the semi not tied down properly. He says he is going to try and hang on one more year. I do not understand Unions, so I cannot give him any advice. I just told him to keep his nose 'clean' and do a bunch of CYA (cover your ass). He is also the volunteer photographer for his local union group. He has invested a lot of money in camera equipment and takes pictures on his days off for the big wigs to get their pictures in the local papers. Is there any advice I can give him to help him through this? Is this an example of how tough the economy really is?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 7:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you're advice to him was good. I know a few people that are in Unions, and to me they seem very political. I wish him lots of luck!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Good fricken luck. My hubbys union wants to take all his pensions and give them to the retired guys. He's been outta work now for 1.5 years. They want us to give them $30 a mnth for union dues. How are they going to help us. What great thing is this $30 going to bring, cause were struggling to make all ends meet. For the $30 they want, we get 1 bag of groceries, 1 time. Um I don't see how that is fair. I mean I can go to the store and spend $30, end up with 3 bags if I shop right. So good luck with this one. In good times the unions are great. But once the times get ruff you are on your own. My husband was a proud union member, now he's a man trying to hold onto his pride.
    everydaymom1220

Answer by everydaymom1220 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My husband is in a union and like everyday mom we pay monthly dues and field dues every week and they don't seem to ever be there when you need them. My husband still holds on to the hope of 'the union way' but sometimes I think he may be the only one. There supposed to stick by you and make sure your treated fairly but now they'll throw you under a bus to put themselves in a better position. He gets his yearly pay raise of $2 and then a month later they take it from the checks and put it (and then some) in retirement plan. so he makes less....It's all politics! I have some big problems with the way his union has let us down, but he is ever faithful and believes in the way it should be and hopes it will get there again.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• His Dad was a member of this same Union, same Local. I went and met my cousin when the Union was having a big deal meeting in Northern Mississippi. I even got to shake hands with Jimmy Hoffa, Jr. Not really the thrill I thought it would be.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010